The Anxiety of Stepping Into Unknown Territrory

Come on in and say hello.

Re: The Anxiety of Stepping Into Unknown Territrory

Postby Acadianmom » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:09 pm

If you are on Facebook, look up RVillage. There is a story about an 89 year old woman that is full timing. Very interesting.

My boys are busy with their own lives and don't pay a lot of attention to what I do unless I tell them. They worry when I'm on the road so they don't always know what I'm doing. My husband doesn't want to travel and he worries about me, and my vehicle, and the weather, etc. He doesn't always get told where I am either. My friends or my sister know where I'm going.

I am on my 4th motorhome. There are a lot of small Class C's for sale that aren't all that expensive. I wouldn't buy a new motorhome, let someone else take the deprecation hit. You can find many for sale that don't have a lot of miles. Some people buy RV's and never use them. Just do a lot of research and learn what to look for, even in a new rig. If you do your homework you will know as much as the salesmen and more than some. There is a lot of experience on this forum so just ask if you have a question.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby beazle » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:20 pm

Welcome to the forum! I have to agree with Judy JB: just do it! You spent a lot of years looking after your family, and you are due some time for your own dreams and experiences. Just because they cannot see you all the time and "look after you," doesn't mean you don't care for them! Remind them how you encouraged them to follow their dreams and try new things, to have courage and reach for what they wanted. And, communication is much better than it used to be: between cell phones, email, Skype & FaceTime, they won't have time to miss you! Glad to have you with us, and hope to see you down the road some day.
Eileen
beazle

Postby cnq50b » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:18 am

Welcome Angela!
You have just joined the greatest group of ladies! They encouraged me as I looked for my van & while I haven't gotten to go to many GTGs, I've met many of them & consider them dear friends. It's wonderful knowing no matter where you go in this wonderful country, you'll have friends. This group is made up of interesting, intelligent, adventurous gals - of all ages. Do try to connect up with a GTG (get-together) so you can meet them in person - they are amazing!'
Looking foward to meeting you.
Catherine
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby gingerK » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:14 am

See Angela, we are quite the enablers here. As far as your friends and family not being on board with your ambitions, I say this: is it your life or theirs? You seem to be intelligent and level headed and are not just jumping in with both feet here. Do what your heart tells you and the others will just have to deal with it. I am sure they are speaking out of love and concern for you but you need to do what is best for YOU! Don't give up the dream!

And yes, as someone else said there are many used class c's around; I looked at tons of them for months before finding mine practically in my own backyard! If you don't have anyone mechanically minded to go and help you look, hire a mechanic to check it out if and when you find one you like. Good luck and GO FOR IT!
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby Aminton » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:15 pm

Thanks guys (guys meaning gals). I think I am done with the whining about "anxiety," as if daddy, or mommy, or a husband is going to magically appear, pat me on the head, and promise that "everything will work out." There aren't many guarantees in life. And how much fun would life be if there were?

I have learned so much from the Wonder Women in this forum. Your support has been invaluable. The "For Sale" is going up in front of my house today. Wish me luck. I am so, so, SO ready to hit the road.

P.S. Just realized I misspelled "Territory" in my Introduction. I am an English teacher, so that will give you an idea of what a mess I was when I wrote the post. How embarrassing! :shock:
Aminton

Postby chalet05 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:19 pm

So happy to see you are moving forward with your dream!

If you don't mind sharing, what area of the country are you in?
Anita
chalet05

Postby gingerK » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:02 am

Congratulations on moving forward! And know that you now have WRV sisters all over the country.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby avalen » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:29 am

Welcome, I'm looking forward to the same thing, one year 3 months until my big day. However with todays smartphone
capabilities my two grown children see it as ME getting out of their hair. :lol: Yes, they worry about me but they also know I'm only a call or text away. I don't have my motorhome yet, but I do know what I'm getting, and like you, I don't want to
be making payments so I'll pay for it and do everything on my "retirement" budget. And you could say "I'm spending my
childrens inheritance" the only thing they will have to squabble over is who gets the motorhome with I kick the bucket. :lol:
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Retiredcajunlady » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:01 pm

I am so excited for your decision! I will pray that you keep open communication with your children, but remember...you don't need their permission to live your life. And I cannot think of better example to your children and grandkids than living your life well and to the fullest each day! Please keep up with posts so we can follow your progress! Good luck!!
Retiredcajunlady

Postby Colliemom » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:43 am

Greetings from MI. Can't help you with the kids situation, but all I can say is go for it. If it doesn't work out, you can always sell the rig or whatever you buy and go back to a condo. At least you will have tried it, rather than sit there and wish and wonder "what if". It's your life, do what you want with it, for the years you have left. I have my home up for sale right now, with plans to downsize to a smaller one, but if that doesn't pan out, my house on wheels (travel trailer) is sitting next to the garage here and I can just take off if I want.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself