Hello from So Cal and a big thank you!

Come on in and say hello.

Re: Hello from So Cal and a big thank you!

Postby MandysMom » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:40 am

Welcome Diana from another Californian, this one a northern Californian, near Sacramento. I'm mostly anchored here ( former Navy Nurse term , haha) due to husband health issues but love our Class B van and 40 ft bus. You will love the independence of being able to take off on your own, good for you for learning.
Hope to meet one day.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Rufflesgurl » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:43 am

Diana congrats on driving your MH and welcome to the forum from another Californian. Enjoy your new adventures.

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby monik7 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:11 am

Welcome from another Northern Californian.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby MelissaD » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:07 am

Congrats and Hoosier Welcome :D
MelissaD

Postby drivingmzdazey » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:22 pm

Thanks for all the encouraging words! And nice to "see" so many other CA rv gals. I'm a big fan of the Sierras, especially the eastern side this time of year.

Hi Melissa! My oldest son and two grandsons live in Indianapolis. I usually fly to see them. I'm hoping to find the courage to drive there one day. Did it once with DH in a sports car. Fun at times but driving a lot of long stretches with not much to see makes me sleepy. Not a coffee drinker so I need to have a good plan and make sure I can pull off the road if I need a nap. Btw, reading your posts on driving and braking an rv, plus seeing the pic of what you drive, gave me the final push to drive Mz Dazey solo. Thanks for the "shove" :D and for sharing your knowledge and experience!

Diana
drivingmzdazey

Postby MandysMom » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:42 pm

Diana, most of us recommend stopping every hour or so to stretch our legs, go potty, get a snack or drink. ESP so since one of our members got blood clots sitting too long trying to drive too far in a stretch! Better yet. Retired? Then no need to go far in a day. Learn to boondock and drive shorter distances per day. Make sure your bed is really comfortable so you get good rest.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby IrishIroamed » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:59 pm

Hi Diana...welcome from IL (temporarily in IN for a gtg). Good going on the driving. Now you and the hubby just need to get on the road!
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby Bethers » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:04 pm

Diana, not only you want breaks, but if you say "not much to see" you might want to change routes and get off interstates.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby beazle » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:56 pm

Sorry for so late a welcome...glad to have you join us, and hope to see you on the road one day or at a GTG.
Eileen
beazle

Postby drivingmzdazey » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:22 am

Hi! And thanks for all the warm welcomes and advice. Truly appreciated. Next week I am going to do more solo mountain driving. I really love the Sierras so I want to feel more confident if I ever drive up there solo. Not sure I'll ever attempt 120 from Lee Vining to Yosemite, though. Dont even like the drive in a car. :o

Diana
drivingmzdazey

Postby JudyJB » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:40 pm

There will always be places many of us avoid, so don't worry if you want to avoid Lee Vining to wherever! There are lots of other routes. In fact, try a route you have never taken in a car. For example, try going farther north or south than you really have to.

You can pick a route and then do research ahead of time to find hidden "gems." Also, I am in the habit of stopping at the entrance visitor center when I arrive at a new state. The people behind the desk can suggest all sorts of places. And if you see something strange like a big teepee just off the highway, stop and give it another look. (Vore Buffalo Jump in northeastern Montana in interesting and has a beautifully constructed "teepee" visitor center. I found it by talking to local people.)

And look out for smaller museums, such as those in small towns or out-of-the-way counties. The point is to make a journey, not just get somewhere fast, and since you are retired, you have all kinds of time to explore.

Everyone has their own travel style, but mine is drive a max of 200 miles and then sitting in one spot for a day or two. And my grandkids LOVE camping with grandma, even if it is in the driveway or an overnight in a nearby campground! Hopefully, yours will also.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby bluepinecones » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:42 pm

Adding another late welcome. Glad to have you.
When you are traveling don't forget to check the forum member map (1st topic under GENERAL) to see who might be located along your route. You might also consider adding your location and be surprised by one of us passing by. BTW: If you want your location on the map, just send a request.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself