Hello from Portland, OR

Come on in and say hello.

Hello from Portland, OR

Postby GypsyQueen » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:25 pm

Hi all,

I'm new here and about to embark on the first 'leg' of my journey! Next week I'll be buying a fifth-wheel to live in full-time in an RV park while I work full-time and pay off all my debt. By my calculations, I should be debt free and ready to hit the road in about 3 years.

I'm an HRIS analyst by day, and a jeweler by night, though have not been very prolific in my art for the past couple of years, so am getting into it again. My dream is to hit the road, traveling from art festival to art festival around the U.S. and Canada, and also find some workamping opportunities along the way in between. I'd like to travel through Central and South America as well, but that seems a bit too intimidating to do by myself, so at some point might see about getting a group together to do a caravan type thing, but that's a ways in the future yet :D

I have two dogs who are the sunshine and comedic entertainment in my life, and who will be my co-pilots...though one of them falls asleep nearly as soon as the wheels start turning, so he's not much help :P

I'm a gypsy at heart and have realized that at 44 years old, I don't want to spend the rest of my life ensconced in a cubicle, doing work I could really give two sh*ts about, and staying in one place. The big joke in my family is that they all have to have a separate phone book for me because I move around so much, though in the last 10 years, haven't moved as much as I used to, so get restless and change my apartment around, which doesn't really quiet the gypsy within. So for the past six months I've been researching motorhomes, travel trailers, and fifth-wheels, researched different RV parks, follow many blogs, joined lots of forums, and just keep learning and learning. I can't wait, to get this step started so I can get closer and closer to the day I unhook and hit the road. (I'll be trading in my fifth-wheel for a motorhome when I hit the road.)

Really looking forward to being a part of this forum, and one day, maybe meeting some of you out there on the open road :)

Cheers!
Kirsten
"She's a silver lining lone ranger riding through an open space…"

GypsyQueen

Re: Hello from Portland, OR

Postby JudyJB » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:13 am

Welcome to the forum from a fellow "gypsy"! I also got the travel bug early but ended up with a family, job, elderly parents, and kids to raise, so it took me a long time to get moving. I remember sitting in airports when I was traveling for business to exciting places like Buffalo and New Jersey listening to them announce departures to MUCH more interesting places, and wondering if I would ever get to travel.

Glad you have joined us.

Judy (who sent you a message on another forum)
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Bethers » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:18 am

Welcome Kirsten, from a fellow gypsy! I left my "safe" job at age 52 to travel for a year and never went back. I'll be 63 shortly and don't regret a minute of it. Yes, I do work (workamp) in order to afford to do this, but I feed my gypsy soul and got over my need for a safety net (which was the hard thing for me) quite early.

There are some ladies I know who travel and sell their jewelry. One is actually in Oregon right now and doing quite well at the weekend craft fair she's been the last couple weeks. I'm sure you can find other like-minded souls and pick their brains.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:27 am

I don't have enough bandwidth right now, but I will check out "Without Bound" when I do. Here is the You-Tube link for others who have not heard about this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg37Cbx-kak

There is really a whole culture out there of people who live in RVs off the grid, so to speak, on federal land without any hookups. One of the best blogs is by "RVSue and her canine crew" at http://rvsueandcrew.net/ She has been traveling for well over four years, and it is especially interesting to go back to the very beginning of her blog and follow the process she took to get where she is today.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby IrishIroamed » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:46 am

Hi and welcome Kirsten. I'm in IL and still working, but hope to be a gypsy in a few years.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby Queen » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:28 pm

Hiya, Kirsten, welcome from FL.
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:36 pm

Welcome from Ohio...but currently in Ireland for a few more days. :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby gypsyrose1126 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:47 pm

Welcome from WI
Rosemary
gypsyrose1126

Postby avalen » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:08 pm

Welcome
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby monik7 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:56 pm

Welcome from Northern California.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby OregonLuvr » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:01 pm

Welcome from Southern Oregon

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby gingerK » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:47 pm

Welcome Kirsten, glad you joined us.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby GypsyQueen » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:16 pm

Thanks for the lovely welcome all! I'm so glad Judy told me about this group!!
"She's a silver lining lone ranger riding through an open space…"

GypsyQueen

Postby WickedLady » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:59 pm

Welcome from WA state.
WickedLady

Postby MelissaD » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:45 pm

Hoosier Welcome :D
MelissaD

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself