Fence Sitter...

Come on in and say hello.

Fence Sitter...

Postby Andi » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:59 pm

Hi,

I was a full-time RVer for the 13 years of my marriage, and have always had restless feet, always moving, never staying put. My then husband and I had a perfectly fabulous time on the road... My sisters always said I took my retirement out of the middle of my life. We earned our way by delivering phone books around the country, working at my old job whenever we were in the area, park hosting, working for the Forest Service in South Dakota, and driving motorhomes here and there for Foretravel Motorhomes.

We always had one to three cats onboard during our RVing life, and it always amazed me that they traveled so well in a motorhome when they were such horrible travelers in a car.

I've now been totally off the road for eight years, bought a house last year, and am working at a job that is slowly going away. Driving home from work last week, I passed an RV park that was advertising spaces for $125/mo, which blew me away and got me to thinking about the RVing lifestyle once again. I'm just not sure at this point if I would enjoy it as much on my own...or maybe I'd enjoy it even more? Don't know, need to find out, which is where your forum comes in. I need to "figure out my head" before I decide on a life on the road again, and feel this just may be the place to find what I need to make that choice.

Happy travels,
Andi
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.
-Rumi
Andi

Re: Fence Sitter...

Postby cnq50b » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:07 pm

Welcome Andi,
Sounds like the forming of a 'perfect storm' to me... passing the RV park, job is phasing out, you loved it once... Could you rent your house & give it a go?
Read the postings here & dream a little. You're the only one who will know if it is right for you, but sure sounds like the stars are lining up in a certain directon. 8-)
Looking forward to your musings on the topic...
This is a great group - glad you've joined it. Hope to meet you down the road.
Catherine
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby IrishIroamed » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:31 am

Hi from Illinois Andi. Yes, check out the posts like Catherine suggests, but look at people signature lines also. Some have blogs and you can follow where they've been and who they've gotten together with in their travels.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:11 am

Welcome to the forum. Do your research for this time in your life. Remember if you do decide to get back out here on the road again....it does not have to be an all or nothing and it is not a forever decision...it would be a decision for the "now" of your life. Having traveled before you have an advantage of already understanding the diversity of adventures that exist and the potential for discoveries of people and places......
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby avalen » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:39 am

welcome :D you've got sound advice and so glad you found us, I look forward to your postings
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby MelissaD » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:15 am

Hoosier Welcome :D

You appear to be approaching a cross roads. There are others like Beth that can tell you about employers that want to tap into those making RV's home. I believe there are more opportunities for the "nomadic lifestyle" if one knows where to look.

I'm much happier living in my 5th wheel than my house and I need to keep moving, even if it's for a weekend get away. I think the grandbaby would be onboard with the idea. Now I just have to convince Phoenix :lol:

Seriously, you have to follow what makes you happy. For some, the dream of a house and a white picket fence, just doesn't fit "the dream."
MelissaD

Postby Bethers » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:18 pm

Andi, no telling which way the enjoying will go, but will tell you about my epiphany my first year out, which was to be my only year, as I had only taken a years leave from work.

More than once I felt sorry for myself that first summer, doing this solo, no one to share with. Then I found myself on Avenue of the Giants in California. I pulled over crying my eyes out about how unfair it was that I was all by myself (well, two dogs) and had no one to share this with. Then a light went off (I figure from above) and I realized as much as I loved this great avenue, my previous relationships would not have been so in awe. But here I was and I could take as long as I wanted. That 35 or so miles took me all day. ALL day. I can do just what I want, when I want. Don't get me wrong, I never missed the compromises i mss when married, but I must admit, after accepting being on my own, there are lots of advantages.

And when I want company all I have do is find a cg or park, or people from this forum to visit or sometimes travel a with, or a friend to go visit, etc etc. But I'm happy with and by myself, and that is the key, whether you decide to travel or stay in a s&b.

Every year there are more and more solos out there. I'm amazed by the numbers. My one year has morphed and I'm now in year 10 and can't imagine any other way I want to live. But should that happen, I'll embrace it, I hope.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Andi » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:21 pm

I truly appreciate the welcome and all the words of wisdom and insights. I'm going to be pondering it all for a while to come before finalizing anything, and it'll be good to have a group to bounce things off of.

As weird as it might sound, I have to thank my ex for introducing me to the world of RVs. Otherwise I'd still be moving somewhere, putting down shallow roots, then selling everything and moving on again. And I have to thank him for giving me the courage to get a CDL to drive motorhomes (for money). (Have you ever had a driving test where you had to parallel park a 36-foot motorhome? I have!) And the courage to do such crazy things as driving a motorhome through a really narrow tunnel at the Texas Motor Speedway to the infield with only inches to spare on each side. I look back at those times and it feels like I'm looking at someone else. I keep saying to myself, "Did I really do THAT?!?"

I liked what Beth said about how wonderful it can be to do things when you want to, for as long as you want to, and when you're ready for the company of others, you can find an RV community or friends from this forum to join up with. So you're only alone when that's the option you choose.

Never thought about the perfect storm analogy... Huh, does sort of seem that way, doesn't it? Another part of the "storm" is probably the fact that in the year that I've owed my home, it's gone up in value $20G, which makes selling it tempting...

Anyway, it's good to be here... Actually it's a RELIEF to be here, in a community of like-minded women.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.
-Rumi
Andi

Postby WickedLady » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:20 pm

Welcome to the forum and any get-to-gethers you care to attend.
WickedLady

Postby Liz » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:17 pm

Welcome to the forum. There are many full-timers on here, and many part-timers, most-of-the-timers, and wannabes. We all seem to fit together pretty well.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Dawn309 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Hi Andi,

No matter what you decide, this is a great group of ladies. These ladies helped me through the loss of my husband and my starting to live my full time RV'er dream. I have made some wonderful friendships here that I treasure. I know you will too.

I look forward to meeting you down the road somewhere.
Dawn, Rascal, Belle
Sunshine-2012 Coachmen Encounter
http://dawnsrvlife.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/dawn.goodrow.shive
Dawn309

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:24 am

I am one of those who enjoyed RVing with my husband (been to most states and a couple providences). I have been by myself now since 2006. After a few years I thought I'd give RVing solo a try but found it very lonely. I now find I love being with my family and enjoy watching the grand kids grow up, sharing their school events and whatever else they do. So, I sold my motorhome and for me that was a good choice. I have been on this forum for a few years now and enjoy reading about the ones loving the adventure. My 12 yr old grand dau. loved my motorhome and she planned on us going across country together in it one day, sharing the driving. She still says we will share that adventure one day and I look forward to it!
That's my story which goes to show every one of us have different needs and we can only find out what they are by stepping out and trying things. Perhaps you can borrow an RV from someone or if you can afford it, rent one to see if you still enjoy it. Best wishes in whatever you decide!
AlmostThere

Return to Introduce Yourself