Kohnen's Bakery in Tehachapi, CA

Share restaurants, bakeries, etc that you're discovered during your travels!
Please put location and name in topic title.

Kohnen's Bakery in Tehachapi, CA

Postby JudyJB » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:01 pm

A lot of people drive past Tehachapi on their way from northern California to Las Vegas, but few get off the freeway and stop. There is a great bakery in the downtown area of Tehachapi called Kohnen's. They not only make bread, but have fantastic pastries, cookies, and cheesecakes! They also have a cafe where they serve sandwiches, homemade soup, and even German beer. https://www.kohnenscountrybakery.com/ The only problem with this place is that if you can, get there early because they run out of stuff fast. Last time, I had to order some almond pastries for the next morning for pickup, but I did pick up some bread and a cheesecake. Still have half of that in refrigerator.

It is located right in the middle of the main street, and there is plenty of street parallel parking or even side street parallel parking, so you can even park a big rig or a trailer and tow vehicle. You might have to park a block or two away and walk because it is so busy, even on a weekend morning! Tehachapi is on Route 58, between Bakersfield and Barstow, and passes near Mohave. There are two freeway exits to the town--one at the northwest end, near grocery stores and hardware, and one at the southeast end, near the Love's Travel Stop.

Tehachapi is a very pleasant little town with a nice museum. If you want to spend the night, there is a very nice little campground near the glider airport called Mountain Valley RV Park. Water and electric for $30 per night and has a laundry with two washers and two driers. It has been my go-to place for a peaceful few nights where I can watch the gliders be pulled up. (Don't get this confused with Tehachapi Mountain Park which has no electric and is up a mountain road.)

Oh, and if you are interested in trains, look for the famous Tehachapi Loop northeast of town where trains loop around and go underneath themselves in order to gain altitude.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Kohnen's Bakery in Tehachapi, CA

Postby MandysMom » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:05 pm

We always stay with friends who live in Tehatchapi. Be sure to visit the Train Depot! My friends help run it.
Velda
MandysMom

Re: Kohnen's Bakery in Tehachapi, CA

Postby mtngal » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:16 pm

Yes! Love both bakery and town. Nice murals too.
Diana
mtngal

Return to Great Eateries