Insurance - The Hartford thru AARP

Tell us who had done you right and who has done you wrong in rv repairs and service!

Insurance - The Hartford thru AARP

Postby kdmac » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Here is ol "Chatty Kathy" just goin to town today...but I had to share this.

Being a conservative American I have held an attitude toward the liberal politics of AARP and have tried to stay my distance...but even I can crumble under the pressure of exorbitant isurance premiums...Let me explain.

My premium with Pemco Insurance, which is out of Seattle WA, is due on 12/06. I got the notice and it showed a $130 increase. Upon my inquiry she said it was due to their operating costs having to deal with things such as "CLAIMS"!!!... whatever!!! So, I called AARP and begrudgingly joined as I knew the Harford would offer a better deal. It was $345 less and the same coverage.

The very lovely man I dealt with told me that the other insurance companies will go before the Insurance Commission when they want to increase their prices and just do the required legalities with no need to prove why they need an overall increase. Whereas The Hartfort is teamed with AARP and has to answer to them first at a board inquiry if they want to pursue an overall increase. AARP would be our representative and give them kick-back and require proof for this increase. So, in the several decades, (40 years I think) Hardford has been insuring seniors through AARP without raising costs. Hartford actually reduces your premiums as your vehicls age (as happens with fixed income people) as well as rewarding a good driving record etc. So, if you are willing to look the other way at AARP's politics, lobbying, and questionable candidate support it may be worth comparing your premium to what they can offer you.
kdmac

Re: Insurance - The Hartford thru AARP

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:38 pm

Thanks for the info. And I have no problem with many of the AARP issues and candidates...... :roll: :D
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby chalet05 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:19 pm

When I jack knifed my truck and Chalet 6 years ago, I believe the damage to the truck was $1600. This was not a traffic violation or injury accident, just a stupid mistake. Hartford raised my rates so much that I should have just paid it out of pocket. Sorry I don't have exact figures, but I believe it was somewhere between $300 and $500 a year. I doubt they would have ever lowered it again. I now have Mutual of Enumclaw, also another Washington State company for the truck. But...this is a good reminder that is time for me to compare rates again!
Anita
chalet05

Postby Bethers » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:39 pm

Hartford and Hartford with AARP are two separate entities.

When I first went with Hartford through AARP my rates went down 2 years in a row and that included the year I had the blow out with much damage.

I switched a couple years ago - well, won't go into that - but it's the company advertised above and I love them, also. But went back to Hartford/AARP this past year because I wanted my insurance for the rv and car with one insurer if I could. They gave me a great rate.

Kathy, make sure that you paid a few dollars extra and get the coverage similar to homeowners for everything you own. I think I added 10,000. AND make sure they have you down as a full-timer - because they then include (free) complete rv road service. I was able to drop my Good Sam service - which meant another $100+ saving a year.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:56 am

This is a couple years old, but interesting.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505146_162- ... t-for-you/
AlmostThere

Postby bluepinecones » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 am

Interesting topic.
Thanks for the article.
I have my home and van insurance with Hartford tho not thru AARP. They do not cover rental property so both of those houses are with Travelers. Overall I have been generally pleased with both companies but have experienced a couple of major rate increases after claims including one this year.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Return to Kudos and KudNos