Where LBJ sat

Where LBJ sat

Postby Belle » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:53 pm

Liz, Carol, and I visited the LBJ Ranch near Fredericksburg, TX. I sat under the sign, can you find me?

Here's where LBJ sat as a child in his one room schoolhouse.

Here's another place he probably sat a lot...

The Texas White House is being restored to the way it looked in the 1960's during LBJ's term in office. So far only the office (on the left) is finished and open to the public.

Here's the desk where he sat

But this was his favorite seat...note the pillow

I'm not sure if he ever sat in this saddle the president of Mexico gave him, but he might have at least once for show.

Here's a list of other places he may have been found sitting. This is an intercom on one of the 4 desks in his office.

Wouldn't you like to sit in one of these rockers and look at the river?

Here's a picture of LBJ and his military advisers sitting on the front lawn.

And here's the place they sat

Plans are to finish restoring and open the rest of the downstairs over a 3 year period. So, come back, ya hear?
Happy travels to all,
Belle, the womenrv.com mascot
Belle

Re: Where LBJ sat

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:30 pm

About the saddle present. I was under the impression that any gifts gifted to the president wasn't theirs to keep. Guess not.
AlmostThere

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:05 pm

Boy, Belle, you, Liz and Carol got some really nice photos.....so glad you are having a grand time in your travels.....And, yes, I see you sitting in the middle of the stone wall.... ;)
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby Sunseeker » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:38 pm

Thanks for that snippet of history, Belle! I remember passing by the place on our way to Kerrville...way past dark! It's so nice that Liz and Carol took you and the camera along on that visit. I can't wait to see where your travels take you next!
Sunseeker Jill
also Tommy and furkids Sami and Molly
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby mtngal » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:37 pm

Belle, you are having toooo much fun. I will have to add LBJ's ranch to my places to visit this winter. The ranch house is so beautiful under that big oak. I bet you were out there scrambling to the top before Liz caught up!
Diana
mtngal

Postby Bethers » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:50 pm

Thanks, Belle. When I was there - Lady Bird was alive and still living in the house. When they gave the property and house, it was with the condition that as long as either of them were alive, they could live there. I was able to see in the garage (did you see the sea/car? and many out buildings and I took a wonderful tour that told me lots about the grounds and Lady Bird, in particular. I would like to go back when the house is restored - that will be neat.

Thanks so much for the pics.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:45 pm

Wow Belle, you really take good pics! :D i'd like to sit on that lawn and watch the river, too!
Cedar518

Return to The Adventures of Belle