Over the bounding main...

Over the bounding main...

Postby Belle » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:23 pm

Guess where Liz and I went today? Give up?

Sailing!!!
Yep, Liz told me how in her former (before RV) life, she and her friend Linda owned a sailboat. They don’t have it any more, but still like to sail with friends on their boats. So today we went to Lake Weir where Liz’s friend Pat has a sailboat. Flamingos love being on the water!

First we had to attach the sails. Here Linda and Pat work on the main sail (pronounced mainsill)

Next Linda hanks on the jib.

It was a beautiful morning as we motored out into Sunset Harbor, but not great weather for sailing.

To go sailing, you need wind! The waters of Sunset Harbor were smooth as glass. But the skies were blue and temperature in the upper 70s, so we just had to grit our teeth (oops, no teeth here!) and bear it.

Just like an RV, there are always maintenance chores to do on a sailboat. Here’s Pat scrubbing bugs off the port side.

Once we got out onto the big lake, the wind picked up and we were sailing!

Just hanging out….

Taking my turn at the helm.

Sailing sistahs!!!! Liz, Pat, and Linda

Lots of people were enjoying this beautiful day on the lake.
Fishermen…

Barefoot waterskier…

This float plane either just left or was coming in to Gator Joes Restaurant for lunch. He circled the sailboat and probably was taking pictures of the pretty sailboat as we were taking pictures of the pretty plane.

And of course, many of my bird sistahs too.

Hope you enjoyed our day in the sun.

Happy travels to all,
Belle, the womenrv.com mascot
Belle

Re: Over the bounding main...

Postby Carolinagal » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:47 pm

Well Belle, how did you like your first time sailing? I thought this morning when Liz was being so secretive that you just might go sailing, she likes it a lot and knowing it was a beautiful day down there, that was my guess. The pics are really pretty, especially for me today, as we have had several days rain and gloomy looking days here, and more to come. I am not complaining, as we need it.

You will have great adventures with Liz, this is just a good start, hope you enjoyed it. I sure enjoyed the pIcs.

Carol
Carolinagal

Postby Bethers » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:10 pm

I love your travels, Belle, and you have me still laughing out loud at the picture Liz took of you "just hanging out" - great!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:14 pm

Oh Belle, its so much fun to go on your travels with you and LiZ.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Echo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:21 pm

Kool beanies!! Dang Belle you are getting to do lots of neat stuff. Someday I'll get to go sailing too. I've always wanted to do that vacation schooner sailing thing. How awesome would that be!! WooooHoooo
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:12 pm

Wow, Belle.....you sure are spreading your wings.... ;) Liz has you doing all kinds of things......looks like you all had a grand time.....
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby Cedar518 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:18 pm

Belle, how did I miss this adventure of yours? Isn't sailing just the best,... so quiet. You and Liz are having such fun!
Cedar518

Postby Paulette » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:25 am

hmmmm, wonder if Liz would notice if I dressed up as a Flamingo and slipped into Belle's spot? LOL

Ya'll are having a lot of fun!
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby dcricket » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:57 am

Belle, what amazing adventures you've under your wings. Hope your New Years treks are just as wonderful.
Live, Laugh, Love, Aloha
Donna & Willie
2020 Forrest River Rockwood Mini 2104S Travel Trailer
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 1LZ
dcricket

Postby LegalLady » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:35 am

Ooh! Ahhhhh! I am so jealous! I adore sailing! I had a wonderful Catalina sailboat but ended up selling it after the youngest graduated high school. Once she went to college I didn't have anyone to go with me and it wasn't much fun alone (and too much work by yourself). I do still have a sunfish but it's such a job to get it down to the lake and everything installed to go that I don't use it very much. But I do love sailing!
Leslie
Boston, MA
2007 Roadtrek 210P
LegalLady

Return to The Adventures of Belle