Just discovered Jodi Picoult

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

Just discovered Jodi Picoult

Postby TarheelBornGal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:58 pm

and I love her! The first book I read, Vanishing Acts, didn't seem to be as well-liked as some of her others, judging from the reviews I read on Goodreads, but I really enjoyed it. Just checked out Plain Truth from the library and started it last night. I enjoy anything about the Amish, so this one looks to be right up my alley.

Any other Jodi Picoult fans out there?

Emily
Emily
Still RV dreamin'...
TarheelBornGal

Re: Just discovered Jodi Picoult

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:02 pm

I'm not afraid to admit that I have enjoyed many of her books. After awhile, you get a sense of her "formula" and they are not quite as fresh and novel. I read somewhere that she does extensive research in the area/topics that the books cover. The last one I read was about a family and the wolves the father studied....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby TarheelBornGal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:29 pm

That's the case with a lot of authors -- the first few books are exciting and interesting, but if they become too formulaic, they can get old. Still, I do enjoy a mystery and interesting characters, so I'll certainly read her books until I grow bored. It's obvious that she does research the various subcultures she writes in, and I appreciate that.
Emily
Still RV dreamin'...
TarheelBornGal

Postby Bethers » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:30 pm

She and I have emailed each other. I sent her a very nice, respectful email disagreeing with the way one of her books ended. To my surprise about an hour later she replied. We went back and forth and I learned many people agreed with me, but she liked her choice. I was very impressed with her. And I do enjoy reading her books. As Tina said though, I can usually tell you the ending shortly after starting the book. In the case of her books that doesn't bother me.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to Book Talk