Wanted Man by Lee Child

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

Wanted Man by Lee Child

Postby havingfunnow » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:01 pm

The newest Jack Reacher book. Like a fool, I started reading in the evening -- and ended up staying up all night, because it was too exciting to put down. Lee Child really does plot twists with the best of them, and his timing has my head spinning.

All the same, I think my favorite Reacher books are Bad Luck and Trouble and Killing Fields. They move just as fast, but they're more character driven. Reacher is such an interesting character.
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Re: Wanted Man by Lee Child

Postby Bethers » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:46 am

I like all of Lee Child's books that I have read, and, like you, I enjoy the Jack Reacher character. Haven't read this yet - but I'm sure it's day will come :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby asirimarco » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:12 pm

Just bought it today - can't wait to start reading it.
Also bought John Sanfords latest Virgil Flowers book. Another good series.
asirimarco

Postby havingfunnow » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm not familiar with Sanford's books. Oh, goodie! I love finding new series.
Louise
havingfunnow

Postby Bethers » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm going to see if I can get a library card here this winter. Then I can read the new books out. Putting that on my priority list.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby havingfunnow » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:55 pm

Great idea! Let me know how that goes. Not having a library is one of the very few things I worry about once I can hit the road.
Louise
havingfunnow

Postby asirimarco » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:24 am

Stayed up all till 4 in the morning finishing the John Sanford book and half the night last night reading the Lee Child book.
I'm going to make sure that I can still borrow books from the local library on my Nook when we're in Mexico. I also need to find out why I can't download books from Barnes and Noble while in Mexico using Mexican Internet.
asirimarco

Postby havingfunnow » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:13 am

I just downloaded a Sanford book -- the fourth in the series, but that's the first hold that became available. I can tell it's a popular series -- every single book is on hold!

I'm always confused about what electronics will and will not work across national borders. My sister had no difficulty downloading Kindle books in China, but not Nook. Patchwork laws, I guess? You could try torrents.
Louise
havingfunnow

Postby PeggyinCT » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi
Thanks for the recommendation. Lee Child is a new author for me. I started with Bad Luck and Trouble and so far I am enjoying his writing. Do you read Sara Paretsky? Her stories are set in Chicago.
PeggyinCT

Postby Bethers » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:31 pm

I like Paretsky. Went to a book reading with her once. Had already been reading her books, probably because I'm from Chicago, but that got me more interested.
Beth
Bethers

Postby asirimarco » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:24 am

Like Sara Paretsky have read all of hers I think. Also like J A Jance - she wreites three different series - woman sherrif in the Bisbee area, police detective in Seattle area and lady ex TV news person in Sedona area. All are good.
Finished Wanted Man last night. At end of book there is a blurb saying all the books have been purchased for movie rights. also said "One Shot" will be released to theaters in December starring???? Tom Cruise????????? Isn't Reacher well over 6 feet!!!!!
asirimarco

Postby havingfunnow » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:48 am

I can't imagine Tom Cruise as Reacher either. Child is always mentioning how big Reacher is and how long his arms are -- explaining situations in which those characteristics are an advantage or a disadvantage. I expect I'll want to see the movie anyway, though. ;) I can't think why they're starting with One Shot; it's not his best book.

I love Sara Paretsky's work too! I'm always waiting impatiently for the next one. I love the way she works important issues into the novels. It really stretches the boundaries of the mystery genre. I actually dreamed about VI once, when I was worrying about school closings in my son's borough of NYC. She looked just like Paretsky's photo on the book jacket. :lol:
Louise
havingfunnow

Postby PeggyinCT » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

How about Nevada Barr(her real name) and CJBox. Do you read them?
Barr writes about a national park ranger which Barr was before she started writing. Box writes about a game warden in Wyoming. Both are good writers in my opinion, and tell interesting stories weaving in current issues.
PeggyinCT

Postby havingfunnow » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:06 am

Nevada Barr is wonderful! In fact, I just downloaded a copy of Winter Study to re-read. It's my favorite. Not that it's necessarily her best book, just that at 18 I wanted to be a wolf researcher on Isle Royale. :D One of the things that impresses me about Barr is the way she puts in Anna in so many locations that you wouldn't really think of as being National Park Service areas. Lake Superior underwater? New York City? Caves? All true, of course, but not what comes to mind when you think National Parks. I really enjoy that. Also, she's such an environmentalist, and I respect that.

Peggy, I'm so glad you're enjoying Bad Luck and Trouble. It's such fun when other people enjoy your favorite books, isn't it?

I didn't know Box has a series featuring a game warden! I'll have to look for that. I'm familiar with his The Burglar Who . . . series. I re-read one occasionally because Bernie makes me grin.
Louise
havingfunnow

Postby havingfunnow » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:36 pm

Whoops! I just realized The Burglar Who series is by Lawrence Block, not C.J. :oops: I wonder if they're related?

Anyway, I just borrowed Open Season. That should be fun.
Louise
havingfunnow

Next

Return to Book Talk