Imagination and the Wild

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

Imagination and the Wild

Postby oregontocal » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:44 am

I read this in my latest online issue of UU World this morning and loved it. Perhaps you will as well.

Imagination and the Wild

Wherever you are, wherever you go, there are untamed creatures nearby that need your attention. Unplug your modem. Slam shut your self-help books. Quit standing around like a wall trout. Get to work.
Invite warblers to your neighborhood with shaggy plots of greenery. Learn everything you can about the bandit-eyed raccoon that stares at you through your sliding glass door, demanding enchiladas.
Mark the direction of jet black darkling beetles marching up a red dune like a troop of miniature helmets. East? South?
Let black widows live in your soffits.
Lie on your back on a breezy sweep of beach and stare at the undersides of magnificent frigate birds. Master a hyena’s laugh and use it when in the presence of politicians.
Admire the male midwife toad, who carries fertilized eggs on his back for a month. Understand that certain species of mollusk can change their gender. Know that from a ball afloat on tiny filaments inside its fanned shell, a sea scallop can tell which way is up.
Crane your neck. Worm your way. Wolf it down. Monkey with things. Outfox your foe. Quit badgering your tax attorney.
Take notes on the deafness of coral, the pea-size heart of a bat. Be meticulous. We will need these things so that we may speak.
The human mind is the child of primate evolution and our complex fluid interactions with environment and one another. Animals have enriched this social intelligence. They give concrete expression to thoughts and images. They carry the outside world to our inner one and back again. They helped language flower into metaphor, symbol, and ritual. We once sang and danced them, made music from their skin, sinew, and bone. Their stories came off our tongues. We ate them. They ate us.
Close attention to mollusks and frigate birds and wolves makes us aware not only of our own human identity but also of how much more there is, an assertion of our imperfect hunger for mystery. “Without mystery life shrinks,” wrote biologist Edward O. Wilson. “The completely known is a numbing void to all active minds.”

Re: Imagination and the Wild

Postby Getupngo » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:06 am

Amen, sister! Thank you!
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Bethers » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:24 pm

I love it! Thanks for sharing.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mtngal » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:36 am

Thanks for posting Chris, I'll add this one to my library list!
Diana
mtngal

Return to Book Talk