Sarah's Cottage

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

Sarah's Cottage

Postby Redetotry » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:14 am

I am really enjoying listening to this book! It is Sarah's Cottage by D. E. Stevenson. It is a lovely story that has a touch of mystery, a niece sent off to boarding school at 5 and of course a bit of romance. I like the writing style of many of the older books.

D. E. Stevenson (1892 – 1973), Dorothy Emily Peploe (married name) was a Scottish author of more than 40 light romantic novels. Her father was the lighthouse engineer David Alan Stevenson, first cousin to the author Robert Louis Stevenson. 2009 saw a renewed interest in Stevenson's books with the reissue of two of her most popular novels, Mrs. Tim of the Regiment (from Bloomsbury) and Miss Buncle's Book (from Persephone Books). The sequel, Miss Buncle Married, was reissued by Persephone in 2011.
D.E. Stevenson was born in 1892 in Edinburgh, Scotland, and was educated at home by governesses. She started to write at eight, but because her parents and governesses disapproved she had to do this in secret. She later wanted to go to university but her father refused, concerned about having an educated woman in the family. Stevenson was married in 1916 to a captain in the 6th Ghurkha Rifles.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Re: Sarah's Cottage

Postby Bethers » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:15 pm

Neither B&N or Amazon have this is ebook form - will keep an eye out for if/when they do. The prices on the "old" books are outrageous and I don't do audio books (which Amazon does have it in). Sounds like it's a good one.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to Book Talk