NOVEMBER BOOK - Water for Elephants

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

NOVEMBER BOOK - Water for Elephants

Postby mtngal » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi everybody! The book I am choosing for November is "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen. Enjoy!
Diana
mtngal

Re: NOVEMBER BOOK - Water for Elephants

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:26 pm

I just ordered the book from Amazon and read the excerpts. It looks to be a good one!
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:43 pm

I finally got the book ordered - hope I get it before the first of the month - but will read it as soon as I do.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Paulette » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:06 pm

I was able to get a copy (large print) and have started reading it. With it being large print, will it be easier to read faster?
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby mtngal » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:10 pm

Hi fellow readers! I am just getting started on it too. What do you think about holding off starting to discuss until AFTER the Texas gtg?
Diana
mtngal

Postby Bethers » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:26 am

That sounds good to me. We don't have any time schedule on here - except what we make for ourselves!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:10 pm

That's fine with me, Diana.
AlmostThere

Postby mtngal » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:55 am

I hope some of you have had a chance to read "Water for Elephants" and enjoyed it as much as I did. How about if we start a discussion based on the questions at the back of the book? Here goes......

1. To what extent do you think the chapters about the elderly Jacob enchance the chapters recounting the young Jacob's experience with the circus?

And then, in what ways do the chapters about young Jacob help to understand the elderly Jacob's life?
Diana
mtngal

Postby Paulette » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:59 pm

I think it showed that he knew of that which he spoke. And I think it showed that he spoke of that which he knew.

I too enjoyed the book.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:25 pm

Sorry to say I'm only a couple chapters into the book but looking forward to finishing it and what you all have to say about it.
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:05 pm

Unfortunately, I'm just starting the book - will ignore these posts until I get a chance to get it read - was hoping to have it read by now - but life (and the gtg) got in the way :) Talk away - and when I finish - I'll come read and throw in my 2 cents.
Beth
Bethers

Postby mtngal » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:47 am

No worries, I will just hold off on discussion for a couple weeks, if that's ok with Paulette? Don't see a book suggestion for
December anyway. So here's a chance for those of you who haven't considered reading Water for Elephants to give it a try.
Diana
mtngal

Postby Sunseeker » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:10 am

I am almost finished and find this book to be very entertaining. It's one of the best I've read in a long time. I look forwad to our discussion.
Sunseeker Jill
also Tommy and furkids Sami and Molly
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby Paulette » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:03 am

No problem. Just hope I'll be able to remember the book when we finally get to discussions. I suffer from CRS syndrome! :lol:
Paulette

Postby mtngal » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:10 pm

How about a show of hands for all those ready to join a discussion on Water for Elephants? This seems like a window of opportunity with Thanksgiving over and a few weeks before Christmas! Looking forward......
Diana
mtngal

Next

Return to Book Talk