EReaders

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

EReaders

Postby Ladyhawk » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:20 am

I saw that it had been a while since anyone posted updates about their ereaders. I have a Kindle, which I love, but have seen they've updated the Nook. I was thinking about buying the Nook and passing along my Kindle to Bobby (thinking it might make reading more fun for him. :roll: ).

I saw Beth's review of the Nook which I hadn't seen before I bought my Kindle. One of my reasons for choosing the Kindle was the ability to read outside and I bought a cover with an extendable light so I could read in the dark. I now see the Nook has the ability to be read in bright sun.

So, just wondering if there are any new opinions about ereaders. My mom has an iPad, but my checkbook just can't go there right now.
Amy and Bobby
Ladyhawk

Re: EReaders

Postby Forestgal » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:30 am

I bought the Nook Color just after Christmas & really like it. Won't say I love it, but I really feel like I didn't waste my money. I like having such a variety of books available to me in my purse. I also like that I can surf the internet anywhere there's a wifi hotspot & not worry about compromising my personal information -- since there isn't any on it.

The issue of screen glare hasn't been one for me. I bought anti-glare screen covers and it helps. Not as good as a Kindle, but if I position myself so that the screen is shaded there's no problem. And again, the whole internet thing really cinched it for me.

I also like that I don't have to have a nightlight thingy to read in bed. Because the screen is backlit(?) I never have to worry about having extra light.

Everyone has their own reasons for choosing the e-reader they bought. I like what I got.

Laura
Forestgal

Postby Bethers » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:55 pm

I have really wanted the Nook Color, but decided I probably won't get the magazines that I wanted that for - so now, my next present to myself will be the brand new Nook - which I really, really like everything said about, including the really, really long battery life (I think I've just said really too many times).
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Getupngo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:19 am

Okay ... I just broke down and bought a Nook yesterday. I realized I avoided buying books because while I wanted to read ... I didn't want more STUFF around the house.

So I got the new little Nook and I love how small & light it is. Saw the ones with all the bells & whistles and decided that I wanted simplicity.

Bought two books and downloaded the Adobe Digital Edition on my laptop so's I can "borrow" ebooks from the library. Now I've just gotta find the #@!$% library card. :lol: Might require a trip there.

Happy.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Bethers » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:49 pm

Getupngo wrote:Okay ... I just broke down and bought a Nook yesterday. I realized I avoided buying books because while I wanted to read ... I didn't want more STUFF around the house.

So I got the new little Nook and I love how small & light it is. Saw the ones with all the bells & whistles and decided that I wanted simplicity.

Bought two books and downloaded the Adobe Digital Edition on my laptop so's I can "borrow" ebooks from the library. Now I've just gotta find the #@!$% library card. :lol: Might require a trip there.

Happy.

Fixed your link. That's the one I think I'll end up getting myself for Christmas this year. Have been upping books to my computer so far - already have over 60 - but can't wait till I have that and can take the books to bed with me :) Or anywhere else, for that matter. Do you like this better than reading on your phone? (I think you were doing that before?)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Forestgal » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Getupngo wrote:Okay ... I just broke down and bought a Nook yesterday. I realized I avoided buying books because while I wanted to read ... I didn't want more STUFF around the house.

Happy.

Janice, that little Nook is ... cute! :) I'm glad you're happy with it. As I said before, I love my Nook Color. I found the absolute best cover through Amazon -- from a company called M Edge. Since the little Nook is so new you might not be able to find them yet, but they're worth the wait. Mine unzips on 3 sides & is much more compact than anything Nook/Barnes & Noble puts out. I'm glad that it's got a longer battery life. Mine does okay enough for what I need, but I'd like it to have a bit longer life. But I absolutely love being able to have 20 books in my purse all the time. Can't beat it!

Laura
Forestgal

Postby Getupngo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:01 pm

Beth, this is SO much better than reading on the iPhone ... 'tho having the book on the phone meant I could just read up a few pages here and there, as I waited for stuff. Won't necessarily take the Nook with me wherever I go.
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby sharon » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:14 am

Getupngo wrote:Beth, this is SO much better than reading on the iPhone ... 'tho having the book on the phone meant I could just read up a few pages here and there, as I waited for stuff. Won't necessarily take the Nook with me wherever I go.

Janice, you can download the Nook app (free) on your phone, then download the book you're reading on the e-reader. Then you can just pick up where you left off on the e-reader. Works great! Anyway it does on the Droid I have. Which is how I almost went over my data allowance and had to up my plan to unlimited for this billing cycle. :cry: :lol:
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby Ladyhawk » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:18 am

So....Bobby received birthday money from the family (very generous great grandma) and I talked him into getting the Nook color for himself. I think it's perfect for him, touch screen, color, and the ability to send email and keep in touch with family. (I set parental controls and he can only email family and NOT shop without a password.) He read ten books in one week. :o He's also doing the crossword and sudoku, which I justify as math and spelling homework.

I have the Kindle, which I prefer to the Nook, but all I want to do is read books, so I don't need anything else. I like that it has a keyboard that I can always access. We haven't figured out how to pull up the keyboard on the Nook when Bobby is replying to an email, but other than that, the Nook is pretty amazing.
Amy and Bobby
Ladyhawk

Postby Getupngo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:46 am

That WAS a generous gift. The color nooks look like a lot of fun and certainly is encouraging your son to read. Win-win.
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby cpatinjones » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:40 pm

I have heard great things about the Nook Color. I own a Nook reader and love it.
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby Hina » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:56 pm

Dont have an e-Reader, but creating eBooks is a revenue stream for me. Small now, but expanding very quickly, as everyone is getting into iPads and Nooks.

Jane
:ugeek:
Hina

Postby JudyJB » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:27 pm

Are you writing original ebooks or scanning and transcribing old ones?

Both would sound interesting. Someday when I retire from one of my jobs, I might try picking up some freelance editing. Brain is too fried to actually write any, although who knows! Maybe when I am less pressured, some old unused parts of my brain will revitalize themselves!
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Hina » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:53 am

Hi Judy,

I already have public domain titles as paperbacks, so now I am converting those into eBook format. I also have a few of my own in mind to write. :D

They've been pushing Kindle hard on TV and all over, and I have seen a drop in my paperback sales :cry: but then a pick up on $$$ with eBooks. 8-)

Getting stuff up on Kindle is pretty easy, and free. You need to format it as HTML which sounds complicated, but MS Word and Open Office can do it easy.

Yes, getting your brain free from the day job for creativity is the trick! I think I get maybe one good day a week! :mrgreen:

Jane
Hina

Postby carold » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:19 pm

I had planned to buy an EReader, but for my b'day, tGM got me an ipad. So I've downloaded Kindle, Ibooks and Overdrive (library access). Now I have to spend the time looking thru the selections. Looking for FREE :lol: books or very cheap ones. Will have to wait for the newbies to lower their prices. carold
carold

Return to Book Talk