Blue Highways

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

Blue Highways

Postby JoanE » Tue May 17, 2011 1:50 pm

I just loaned this book to my son-in-law so I don't have the author's name handy (too lazy to look it up) but this is a terrific book. Faced with a personal crisis, the author sets out in his van to travel the "blue highways" on his map. He meets some real characters, salt of the earth types, along the way and includes their photographs in the book. The author has some Indian heritage along with Scots-Irish so he often writes from the perspective of the Indian as he travels. It is a wonderful book written by an educated and intelligent man. Some say it is much better than Travels With Charley and I would agree.
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Re: Blue Highways

Postby bluepinecones » Tue May 17, 2011 11:36 pm

I had to look it up. Several interesting reviews on line. Also found authors name:
Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon, born William Trogdon.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed May 18, 2011 7:37 am

He has also written a couple of other books, one of which I just read last year. They also were good reads and similar in his interesting style.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby SnowGypsy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:12 am

I had heard so much about this book and finally got a copy. I have just started reading it. I don't read for "pleasure" but for "information" and to learn new things but this book does work. The descriptions of places to me are a little "flowery" but like the style since it feels like you are there traveling along side of him. In my earlier days, I traveled but not for some years now so it brings fond memories back. I can't wait to be out there again!

I do plan to get the other books that he has written. I just realized that once I hit the road, I'll have quiet time to actually read. No TV for me!
SnowGypsy

Postby Redetotry » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:46 pm

A friend and I took this book along when I moved to San Diego in 1985. I don't remember a lot about it except we laughed at his theory that the more old calendars there were on the wall of a restaurant the better the food...not! Then taking one of the 'blue highways' that was 2 lane a dust storm blew up and visibility was zero. We stopped at a store where 3 older men were rocking and asked them how long they lasted, one said oh, sometimes 3 days. We freaked saying we had to be in Yuma before then, so off we went. Not too far down the road the car quit, air filter of course was clogged but we were from dust storm free Illinois and clueless. Neither of us would get out of the car because we both had on contact lenses. So I leaned back on the window and said so where is he, you know, prince charming. I swear at that moment someone knocked on the window and it was PC in the form of a cowboy come to our rescue. :D :D
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:30 pm

Love the story BJ. I am thinking that would be the last we ever heard of Mitch, had it been her...... :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby eviebooboo » Tue May 24, 2016 1:19 pm

Good to hear several of you enjoyed this book. I've had it for ages and just not gotten around to it yet, but it's one of the "trip appropriate" books I've put in Alfo's small library.
No matter where you go, there you are
http://advantureswitheve.blogspot.com/
eviebooboo

Return to Book Talk