Up Country

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

Up Country

Postby Bethers » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:14 pm

This is a serious novel. By that I mean while it's a novel, the backdrop is Viet Nam, which is a subject that is simply "heavy" to this day. And while it's set today (2000's, as it came out in 2002 or 03) it is of a soldier who served 2 tours in Viet Nam returning there to solve a murder that happened during that time. In doing so he goes back to where most of his most serious battles were and relives them in conversation with his traveling companion. It's also long - over 700 pages in hardcover.

All that said, I recommend it. If anything it gave me more insight into what happened with many of my friends who served and came back different people in many ways.

Up Country - by Nelson Demille
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Up Country

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:05 am

I recently watched a documentary about "what the nation didn't know about the Vietnam War". Really an eye opener. They interviewed some of the soldiers, too. Went back to visit certain areas etc. What a bloody, bloody war... drugs, murder and rape for sport, you name it. Many of our soldiers were involved.
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:57 am

Yes they were - and this book doesn't hide that fact.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Birdie » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:51 pm

Do you think Iran and Afgani is different? Really any different? Think hard about your ideas and perceptions. Evil rarely changes it clothing. That's my dark side looking at war since a long, long, long time ago. The evil we do in the name or war or in the name of the Lord is not nice.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby Bethers » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:18 pm

War, in my opinion, is never nice. It's good to remember that - and this book did so while I learned more also. I think Viet Nam relates more to me because it was my generation. I have friends who were there, and I was here protesting the war, however, I never once belittled those who served there. And too many of my friends who came back a different person from that war, never did become "normal" again. I know they say that's true of all wars, but never before in our history were our veteran's so badly treated at home. I do believe that has to have made a difference in their treatment. I went to college with a VN vet - and I saw him spat upon and redictuled. I broke into tears. And still do thinking about it. That's not what this book is about, but while I have trouble with war movies, I'm able to read the books - so this was one I read. I'm glad I did. I had to put it down more than once and let it go for a few days - but in the end, I finished it and learned.
Beth
Bethers

Return to Book Talk