Kindle review

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

Kindle review

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:38 pm

Ok, as I have had my Kindle for a few weeks now I'd thought I'd weigh in on what I thought about it.
As for downloading books, book selections etc I'm over all happy.

With the Kindle itself?
Not so much in that with so many places on the sides to click, it doesn't leave much of an area for holding the device. I find I'm accidently turning pages. I also bought a leather cover to hold the Kindle, which pretty much makes the Kindle a hardcovered book and after a while the small bit of weight tends to get heavier and heavier as I hold it. As I mentioned earlier, I tried w/o the cover and then tended to hit the page turning buttons by accident as I was moving my hands to find different comfortable handholds.

The keyboard is a PITA as it's so small and you have to push fairly hard on the keys. It's a bit different than the normal keyboard for backspacing, caps etc so that gets frustrating.

I made my own collection headings so I can find my books under subject etc. Just when I think I remember how to move my books around, I tend to suddenly forget where/what button to click and the book ends up somewhere else and I have to go look for it. I'm putting this down to operator error and slowmindedness on my part.... :roll: :x

Bottom line, I guess, is the Kindle itself could be less awkward to use, but that said, I am enjoying the art of reading again and perusing books albeit digitally.
PS on edit: I just checked at AMazon and it looks like Kindle has come out with an all new look? Perhaps I'm not the only one complaining? :lol:
AlmostThere

Re: Kindle review

Postby cpatinjones » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:33 pm

Thanks for your review.
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby mtngal » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:20 am

(posting from my cell? sorry for weird formatting)
Lenora, please compare reading on real Kindle
to reading on iPhone Kindle app. Is it great improvement?
thanks!
Diana
mtngal

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:17 pm

Diana, you are correct in that the page size is a great improvement, although, it will never match having two pages open at once when reading a "real" book, as I like to skim back sometimes for reference. Just a new way to read that will take some getting use to. ;)
I still wish the Kindle (all e-readers), were backlit like the iPhone, tho.
AlmostThere

Postby Liz » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:12 pm

AlmostThere wrote:I still wish the Kindle (all e-readers), were backlit like the iPhone, tho.

me too
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby sharon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:24 pm

Liz wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:I still wish the Kindle (all e-readers), were backlit like the iPhone, tho.

me too

I asked about that when I bought my Nook..the answer was...if it were backlit, it would have to be a different kind of screen and you wouldn't be able to read it in bright sunlight very easily. I had one of those small clip on lights that I got from Walmart a while back and it works great even in a dark motel room. I've tried several kinds and this one works great, but please don't ask me what kind it is 'cause the only answer I have is it's purple. :lol:
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby sharon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:48 pm

So a review of the Nook....I really really like it. No buttons on the side to push, the page turner buttons are on the top of the sides and you have to push them fairly firmly. Haven't learned yet how to use the other way to turn pages by swiping the bottom. Have learned the hard way to make sure airplane mode is on when I'm reading a book to save on battery power, and to make sure it's off when looking for a downloaded book or searching for a book to buy. Like the Kindle the keyboard is small, so tried different implements to use to push the keys (pencil eraser, end of pen etc) and they wouldn't work. Went to B&N to find out why and if they make a stylus to use for that, but it was explained to me that the keys are activated by body heat, which is why you just barely touch them to type. Lots of backspacing, but I'm getting better with practice. Pinky finger works best for me. Easy to get on-line, not so easy to search, again because of the size of the keyboard, but just one of the things I have to put up with to get the small size. I was able to sit at the Motel 8 pool, get on-line, and search and book a motel for our next stop. Not easy, but doable, and this was what I wanted the one with wifi for. Happy with the speed of downloads, price of books, variety etc. I didn't buy a leather jacket, just a neoprene pouch...that works for me and it holds the charger cord and plug plus the quick start guide. (Remember, this was bought to take on the bike) The big guide is on the Nook and have had to refer to it a couple of times...easy to read and find out what I need to know. B&N has Nook Q&A GTG's every other Saturday, so want to make one of those one of these days, plus they give you a free coffee and muffin for coming. Starbucks, no less! Woohoo! So all in all, I'm happy with it, it does what I need it to do in the size I needed. Will I still buy paperbacks? You betcha!, and am planning a trip to Cheryl's used book store before I leave for the Ar GTG...is the Nook coming on the trip? You betcha!, will use it for backup reading in case I get in a bind for something to read. I love my Nookie, but I love real books better! LOL!
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:33 pm

So interesting what our different needs/wants are. I'm happy you are happy with your Nook, Sharon. Like me, there are things you'd change or have work differently, but overall we are both satisfied. The manuals came already loaded on the Kindle, which I was happy about.
Anyone else have/or recently purchased an ereader and want to give a review?

PS just finished book #6!! This from a woman who hasn't read thru a book in several years!
AlmostThere

Postby Birdie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:15 pm

Kobo review.
I have had my Kobo for 3 or 4 weeks. I have read 2 books on it and started a couple of others. It does have 4 keys on the left side (Home, Menu, Display, Back), a pc USB plug at the bottom, the spot for an SD card at the top and the power button on the top. The page turner (selector key) is on the front, bottom right. I have recharged it one time, but not because it needed it, but because I was connected to the PC downloading some e-books, so I just left it plugged in while I went for pizza for dinner. Like all the other e-Readers it comes with 100 free books, many of which are the old classics which I have never read. So I decided that I would read some of them like Anne of Green Gables, Pride and Prejudice, etc. Better late than never. I would like for it to have been backlit, also. But that would take lots of power and I love the fact that this holds it's charge so long. I haven't had the problem of pressing key when I didn't want to - at least not yet. It can read EPUB and PDF. I use Calibre to manage my library and it can convert the books for me. I am looking forward to reading "the time traveler's wife". I have it started in hard back but will donate that to my friends. So far I am in great like with it as I do believe it will be easier to track 300 books this way than in the rig.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:07 pm

Terrific reviews, ladies. I'm hoping my strong hint gets me one for Christmas. I suggested a Nook. www.archive.org is a site for freebies.
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Return to Book Talk