Rockin' the iPhone!

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

Rockin' the iPhone!

Postby Getupngo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:52 pm

Okay, okay. I know I'm behind the technological curve and someone on the "Audiobooks for free" thread turned me to on the free Kindle app for my iPhone.

BUT ... I installed it and downloaded a sample section of Justin Cronin's new book, "The Passage." I have been riveted ever since and, of course, bought the book. So now here I am back in my rig at the state park, staring into a little tiny screen (as opposed to this bigger one) rather than at the beautiful lake.

Ain't camping great?
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Re: Rockin' the iPhone!

Postby mitch5252 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:57 pm

Getupngo wrote:Okay, okay. I know I'm behind the technological curve and someone on the "Audiobooks for free" thread turned me to on the free Kindle app for my iPhone.

BUT ... I installed it and downloaded a sample section of Justin Cronin's new book, "The Passage." I have been riveted ever since and, of course, bought the book. So now here I am back in my rig at the state park, staring into a little tiny screen (as opposed to this bigger one) rather than at the beautiful lake.

Ain't camping great?

Can't ya do both - look up at the gorgeous lake every 25 pages or so (small pages on the iThings)???
Sounds like the best of both worlds, no? :mrgreen:

ON EDIT: I just read a review of The Passage on Amazon. The book sounds like it's right up my alley. Let us know how you like it!!
Oh, heck, knowing me - I'll just go buy it (for the iThing, of course!) Thanks, Janice.

mitch5252

Postby Getupngo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:37 am

mitch5252 wrote:ON EDIT: I just read a review of The Passage on Amazon. The book sounds like it's right up my alley. Let us know how you like it!!

OMG OMG OMG ... my eyeballs are falling out I've been reading so long. The dogs are hungry ... the campground's ablaze ... the bed's not been made... the police are banging at the door ... and I CAN'T-STOP-READING.
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby mitch5252 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:41 am

Getupngo wrote:
mitch5252 wrote:ON EDIT: I just read a review of The Passage on Amazon. The book sounds like it's right up my alley. Let us know how you like it!!

OMG OMG OMG ... my eyeballs are falling out I've been reading so long. The dogs are hungry ... the campground's ablaze ... the bed's not been made... the police are banging at the door ... and I CAN'T-STOP-READING.

LOL...

I bought it, too. Haven't started...I have a feeling I'll enjoy!
mitch5252

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:51 pm

Oh, cool, I'm going to check into that book. Thanks for sharing, Janice! Glad you are enjoying it so much. Ain't live good?!?
AlmostThere

Postby Getupngo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:08 pm

When it gets scary, I have trouble keeping going. >oo<
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Bethers » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:22 pm

Just to let you know - there is a free application of Kindle for computers, also. Might be easier than reading on the phone. Don't know as I haven't done either.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mtngal » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:52 pm

The book might not be for me, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Kindle on my iPhone! Have been reading on my iPhone since the Kindle app came out. I know it sounds crazy to read on that little screen, but it just doesn't bother me at all. The only thing I miss about 'real' books is the fun of trading with my friends, but I still read a real book once in awhile so get to pass those on.
Diana
mtngal

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:19 pm

I downloaded Kindle to my PC and it's pretty neat as when I want to use my computer to read my book it tells me that I have been reading at another source and do I want to start where I left off on it? I click yes, and I'm right where I left off on the iPhone! The only function I'm not being able to make work is to "shop in Kindle store" on my PC. I emailed Kindle about it but they want me to actually call them to help me figure it out. One day, maybe, as it's not that big a deal now. Just a bit frustrating as surfing for books would be easier on a computer vs the iPhone sized screen, I think.
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:31 pm

Diana, one of the features of B&N's Nook - is you CAN trade your books - loan them to friends, etc. Something else I like. Course, they have to have Nook, also.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:46 pm

Beth, do you know if that's with only "free" downloaded books, or books you buy also? I would think they'd be losing $$ if they allowed boughten books to be exchanged.
Also with the popularity of the ebook craze, perhaps we can look for more added features in updates or newer releases.
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:23 pm

Lenora,
According to their website and to what I've read in some newspapers by reviewers - that's any books - they believe you should be able to exchange them like you do any book you buy. I intend to confirm this when I go in - maybe Tuesday - to a store to check it out. Of course, someone will have to have the reader to do the exchange - but it's my understanding you can simply send it via wifi from yours to theirs. Again - after I get my questions answered, I'll post about it.
Beth
Bethers

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:36 am

Yeh, I'd be interested in any info about that as it sure would save $$. Wonder how you do the exchange? Perhaps there's a spot to list any books you are willing to exchange and also list the books you are interested in? Interesting for sure. Thanks, Beth.
AlmostThere

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:59 am

http://ilmk.wordpress.com/2010/06/12/inside-the-nooks-lendme-feature/

Inside the NOOK’s LendMe feature
By bufocalvin

Barnes & Noble has been doing a lot to promote their EBR (E-Book Reader) the NOOK (sic) lately.

I’m sure there are a lot of happy NOOK owners out there.

The Kindle (six inch) and the NOOK are direct competitors. They both have a six inch VizPlex E Ink screen, they both use wireless to download books, and they both cost $259.

For a more detailed comparison, see this earlier post.

The feature I hear mentioned the most as something that the NOOK has and the Kindle doesn’t is the ability to lend books.

I’ve seen people say that’s why they considered (or even bought) the NOOK over the Kindle.

While it is undeniably a nice feature, and yes, I think Kindleers would use it sometimes if we had it, I do think it merits some explanation.

In a sense, the balancing feature is the text-to-speech (“read aloud”) on the Kindle. I think both features are great for some people (I’ve listened to TTS for hours), but can be easily overestimated before actually being used. Oh, and I would figure that the LendMe has been used more successfully as a promotional tool than TTS…at least, since four of the Big Six US trade publishers started blocking the latter.

What are the basics?

You go to a book in your nook’s library. You tap a button that says Lend. You then enter (or select someone you have previously entered) someone’s e-mail address. You can add a personal message (which is nice…you can let them know why you think they would like the book). You tap Send and Confirm.

Your friend gets a message in their e-mail (or in the Daily on their NOOK). They have seven days to respond. They then have fourteen days to read the book. During that time, it is unavailable to you on your NOOK…which, of course, mimics a paperbook.

That’s it…sounds cool, right? I’d probably use it with a sibling who isn’t on my account, from time to time.

Limitations

There are a couple of key limitations:

1. You can only lend a given book once…ever. Not once per person, but once altogether. If you get the latest Janet Evanovich, you can lend it to your Mom or your sister, but not to both. That’s even after the book is automatically “returned” after fourteen days

2. The lending is a fourteen day period, period. If the other person gets done in three days, you still can’t get it back. If fourteen days go by and they haven’t had a chance to finish, tough.

3. You can’t give the book away or sell it…just lend it. That’s probably clear from the LendMe name, but I think it’s worth mentioning. You can’t give away or sell Kindle books either, of course (assuming they have Digital Rights Management…not all do, apparently)

4. You can only do this if the publisher allow it

I want to get more in-depth on this last point, because it is an important one.

Just as publishers have blocked text-to-speech access on many Kindle store books, publishers have “disallowed” LendMe on many Barnes & Noble e-books.

Here’s a breakdown on a few categories:

Category All LendMe %
Fiction 34278 11531 34%
SF&F 3766 1536 41%
Classics 2158 1225 57%
Nonfiction 16165 4836 30%
mitch5252

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:53 am

Good info, thanks! Looks like the lending thing isn't all that great if you can only lend out a book once.
AlmostThere

Next

Return to Book Talk