Travels with Charley

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

Travels with Charley

Postby mtngal » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:09 pm

This is the best book! John Steinbeck wrote about his travels around the US in a truck camper in 1960. His observations are so current it's spooky! So here is one hook to get you really interested in reading this book.....Charley is a standard poodle from France!

(disclaimer....ok, maybe there are a couple dry paragraphs, but the humor more than compensates for those)
Diana
mtngal

Re: Travels with Charley

Postby Bethers » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:24 pm

It's been a long time since I read that - might have to find a copy again. Thanks for the reminder.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby bluepinecones » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:56 pm

Long time for me too. Might be even more interesting now as my perspective has changed over the years.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:16 pm

I agree - am going to try and find it and reread from my now RVers prospective.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Liz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:11 pm

I read it in high school and always wanted to do what Steinbeck did...and now I am, so to speak....travels with Roe.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

I also read it years ago and think it started a lot of wheels turning in my head anyway.... Last month after someone mentioned it here I got the book-on-tape version..... It is very interesting to listen about his observations coming out of that time frame and realizing all the history that has come between. The other part that I found interesting was that the book was really so short and didn't really cover that much traveling compared to what we are used to reading these days. He wrote then about a world that few had a window on...and now much of it was not so novel....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby kelpie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:29 pm

I just re-read this. Awesome story. It literally sang to me. And his use of language is nothing short of phenomenal> i have got to OWN this one to read over and over.
Kellie
and Eddie the wonder dog
2000 Four Winds
http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/kelstravels
kelpie

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:31 pm

I just ordered the cassette version of this book to play in my car on the way out to CA. I have picked up the book twice at the library but haven't had time to read it before it was due, so thought this would be a good way to finally "read"it.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Return to Book Talk