The Shack

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

The Shack

Postby Paulette » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:11 am

Received it for Christmas and read it. Wanted to share. It is a Wonderful story...if you get the chance to read it, do so. You won't be disappointed. Not sure who the author is...book is at home and I am at work.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Re: The Shack

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:46 pm

Paulette, the author, William Young, visited our church and spoke about his book. I then bought a copy. It's pretty deep and there were times when I had to put it down for a day or so, but it's soooo good. I left my copy at my son's to read as he was recuperating from his mountain bike accident, and he said the same thing.
AlmostThere

Postby kelpie » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:24 pm

a friend of mine loved this so much she bought over a dozen copies to give away - to friends, family and the girls at the drive thru where she gets crushed ice every day. My chiropactor bought cases of the book before it was available in stores to give to patients and taped two radio interviews with the author and fave tem out also. An awesome story.
Kellie
and Eddie the wonder dog
2000 Four Winds
http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/kelstravels
kelpie

Postby JanetA » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:19 pm

I'm a person w/ a pretty strong faith and knowledge of the bible,, but the SHACK made me think of the Holy Spirit in a WHOLE new light,,, not different, just MORE enhanced! I am so glad I read it and right after I read it I wished I could have given a copy of it to every one I know!

It could be a bit offputting to rigid believers, but to ME,, it was awesome!

read it and draw your own conclusion of how you look at your faith afterwards. ;)
ImageImageImage
JanetA

Postby Liz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:50 am

The author is speaking and book signing in Ocala this weekend. I will be away camping, however. I bought the book with a gift card I received for Christmas, but haven't read it yet.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:25 pm

Janet, I think that was one of the reasons I had to put it down and come back to it. It's not so much based on true scripture, but using it to broaden your mind in just how much we tend to put the Holy Trinity in a box with boundaries.
AlmostThere

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri May 07, 2010 9:14 pm

I just got this book from the library. I was on a waiting list for it for the past 4 months! Must be VERY popular! I finally got it and am very anxious to read it! I will let you know what I think when I am done.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Liz » Sat May 08, 2010 1:02 pm

I put it down and haven't gone back to it. Too deviant from scripture for me.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat May 08, 2010 4:05 pm

I am pretty open-minded spiritually and like to read different perspectives on religion and spirituality, so I will probably enjoy it.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby JanetA » Tue May 25, 2010 5:36 pm

I agree w/ what Lenora said. It's not strictly based on scripture, but takes license on how you look at the trinity... which didn't offend me, as I looked at it w/ a very open mind. I took some of it w/ a grain of salt,, but as I said here months ago,, it made me look @ the holy spirit in a MUCH deeper way... more loving and less untouchable, I guess you could say.. Hard to describe... but not at all offputting! And I'm a hardshell southern baptist! one must read it thru do really get a fair observation on it.

:)
ImageImageImage
JanetA

Postby cpatinjones » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:02 pm

I couldn't get passed the first chapter. I did not like it at all.
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Return to Book Talk