Classics

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

Classics

Postby mtngal » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:07 am

Every so often I read a classic. This time it was 'East of Eden'. Honestly I don't think I read it before or if I did I was so young I just didn't appreciate it. What an amazing book. Especially loved how Steinbeck described the Salinas Valley.
If you read it years ago, it's surely worth a revisit!

btw, the movie with James Dean does not do the book justice. (Altho he is a doll!).

What is your favorite 'classic' (or not) book?
Diana
mtngal

Re: Classics

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:52 am

Once and Future King.....

I also get lost in the Anne of Green Gable Series......in a good way..it has been years since I read them...
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby oregontocal » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:06 pm

After my recent period of living in Oklahoma, I want to read "Grapes of Wrath" again. This time I'll get a different perspective.
oregontocal

Postby kelpie » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:42 pm

I am in a book club at my local library and we always read one classic a year. 2010 will be "to Kill a Mockingbird" They always brin lots of interesting discussion.
Kellie
and Eddie the wonder dog
2000 Four Winds
http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/kelstravels
kelpie

Postby Echo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:53 pm

I have to admit that my fave classic is, Call of the Wild. Read it the first time in Jr High School and have read it a few more times since. Love that story.
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby Liz » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:33 am

I love Steinbeck....his "Travels With Charley" led to my first dreams of RVing. Now I'm doing it...."Travels With Roe."
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:12 am

Liz, Let me know where the book signing will be.....we will all be there! :D
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Liz » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:01 pm

BirdbyBird wrote:Liz, Let me know where the book signing will be.....we will all be there! :D

I said I'm doing it, not writing it. Been there, done that... (writing/publishing)...it's work :lol:
Liz
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Nasoosie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:18 pm

You wrote and got it published????

For heaven's sakes----WHAT IS THE TITLE(s) Liz? We all would wanna know! And read it!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:25 pm

My pastor in Alaska wrote a book and I retyped it for him. It is allot of work as each page can have only so many lines and the margins just so, etc. Typed it on my first computer. An Apple 2G, I believe it was. The letters were all matrix looking. LOL
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:55 pm

When I was in college I typed the final draft of an earth science text book - on an OLD MANUAL typewriter. That's all I owned back then. And to type the letter p was too hard for my little finger, I had to jump my hand over and use my ring finger. I fondly remember that type writer.

I was mentioned in the thanks in the book and a year or so ago (after I had given that book along with so many others away) I found a used copy and purchased it. I think it's at a friends house now. Just because it's the only book I know of I'm named in :) Oops, not true, somewhere is an older book with a poem or two of mine in them - from high school days. Have no clue the name or where to find it, if it still exists.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Liz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:18 pm

Nasoosie wrote:WHAT IS THE TITLE(s) Liz?

Soos, I helped Idella Parker, long-time maid to author Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, write her bio/memoirs. My husband, Bud, started it, but didn't have time nor patience for the two year process of additions & editing to publication. I was fortunate that we did not have to look for a publisher...they wanted to publish Idella's book. It was her second....the first one was called "Perfect Maid" and another teacher helped her with it.

The title of the one I did is "Idella Parker, From Reddick to Cross Creek" and was published by University Press of Florida. It won the Florida Historical Society's book of the year award in 2000. http://www.upf.com/book.asp?id=PARKEF99 Also available from Amazon & other bookstores.

I get royalties every few years, whenever they accumulate to at least $200. Have not seen a check in a long time. :lol: :lol: So, as I said, not worth the effort.
Liz
Liz

Postby mtngal » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:06 pm

How cool Liz! Now I have two to add to my list, Idell's story AND 'The Yearling'. Oh, and I bet those royalty checks will start rolling in now that we know about your book! :lol:
Diana
mtngal

Postby Liz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:44 pm

mtngal wrote: Oh, and I bet those royalty checks will start rolling in now that we know about your book! :lol:

Oh yeah...I think I get about 10 cents a book. I'd use the library if I were you. Or, I can loan you my copy when you're here in January...won't take very long to read it. :lol:
Liz
Liz

Return to Book Talk