Mary Lasswell - "Suds in Your Eye," etc.

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

Mary Lasswell - "Suds in Your Eye," etc.

Postby oregontocal » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:46 am

These books might be a little difficult to find, but I noticed there are some from assorted book sellers on Amazon. My mom introduced me to these wonderful, short books last week. Lasswell wrote this series immediately after WWII, so some might consider them dated. However, I think they're just perfect for the independent women we all are on this list.

Mrs. Feeley, Mrs. Rasmussen, and Miss Tinkham are single ladies of a certain age who have decided to live together in Mrs. Feeley's home, "Noah's Ark," in San Diego, CA. They're all three as beautifully independent as it was possible to be back then, and they love people; thus their great adventures. Hearts of gold, mouths like sailors, and a fantastic taste for beer. Mrs. Feeley owns a junkyard/parking lot (her property). Mrs. Rasmussen is a wonderful cook, and all the books describe in glorious detail some of her meals. In fact, Lasswell wrote a couple of cookbooks (Mrs. Rasmussen's Book of One-Arm Cookery, and Bread for the Living. Miss Tinkham is the proverbial spinster who plays the piano, sings, reads and quotes the classics, and takes all kinds of adult classes. She also has "exquisite" taste in clothes, usually about twenty years out of date but perfect for her.

Although it isn't necessary to read them in order, it does help because they're written that way.

Suds in Your Eye
High Time
One on the House
Wait for the Wagon
Tooner Schooner
oregontocal

Re: Mary Lasswell - "Suds in Your Eye," etc.

Postby JanetA » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:25 pm

Sounds great,,,I will look for those too!

J
ImageImageImage
JanetA

Return to Book Talk