Nov 2009 Book - Still Alice

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

Nov 2009 Book - Still Alice

Postby Bethers » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:06 pm

Ok, it's been too long since we've had a book in this book club. So since no one else is starting one - I am. You have a little over a month to find the book and read it - and we'll discuss it in November.

The book: Still Alice
Author: Lisa Genova

I believe this book is a must read for all of us. Hope many of you join in for this book. And then - someone - pick another book for another month!!!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Nov 2009 Book - Still Alice

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:28 pm

I was kinda excited to participate in this - never have done it before! :o
However, after reading the synopsis on Amazon, I'm gonna take a pass.
(I haven't even had the nerve to start Lotus' recommendation - The Pleasure Seeker, which I bought several months ago!)

Maybe next book! :)

mitch5252

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:50 pm

I have read it and it was good...but scary.......It makes you reconsider all of your own memory moments.....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby snowball » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:35 pm

what is it about?
sheila
snowball

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:38 pm

snowball wrote:what is it about?
sheila

From Amazon:

Neuroscientist and debut novelist Genova mines years of experience in her field to craft a realistic portrait of early onset Alzheimer's disease. Alice Howland has a career not unlike Genova's—she's an esteemed psychology professor at Harvard, living a comfortable life in Cambridge with her husband, John, arguing about the usual (making quality time together, their daughter's move to L.A.) when the first symptoms of Alzheimer's begin to emerge. First, Alice can't find her Blackberry, then she becomes hopelessly disoriented in her own town. Alice is shocked to be diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's (she had suspected a brain tumor or menopause), after which her life begins steadily to unravel. She loses track of rooms in her home, resigns from Harvard and eventually cannot recognize her own children. The brutal facts of Alzheimer's are heartbreaking, and it's impossible not to feel for Alice and her loved ones, but Genova's prose style is clumsy and her dialogue heavy-handed. This novel will appeal to those dealing with the disease and may prove helpful, but beyond the heartbreaking record of illness there's little here to remember. (Jan.)
mitch5252

Postby Sparkle » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:51 pm

Beth loaned me this book and told me to hurry up and read it as she wanted to discuss it with me. I needed no encouragment. I can't wait to get back to it. It does make you think. Everytime I have senior moment I say, I'm Still Alice! It is very well written and just carries you along. You don't notice the writing - the mark of a good book.
Sparkle

Postby mtngal » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:05 pm

Thanks Beth, I needed a good book, will download it tonight to Kindle.
Diana
mtngal

Postby Nasoosie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:16 am

Too depressing for me. I am paranoid enough about developing Alzheimer's as it is.

I watched my grandmother progress from neat lady to turnip in way too short a time.
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Cedar518 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:53 am

I'll pass on this one, too,... my father was lost to this hellish disease, and finally all he could remember was his name. The heartache for my mother and me was awful. I've already lived this story.
Cedar518

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:12 am

It's a pass for me, too.
AlmostThere

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:53 pm

My heart appreciates that you, Beth, suggested this book, but will have to take a pass on it myself as my family and I are going thru this right now with my Mom....My visits to help care for her in the summer are so painful, watching her fade away, not knowing the names of her 6 children....etc.....but agree that for those who haven't gone thru it may gain insight and understanding for those who are or have....
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby Bethers » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:22 pm

I'm sorry so many of you aren't going to read it - I think for those of you going through this - it might actually help, but do totally respect your opinions to pass if you feel too close at this time.

And that review from Amazon is totally off the mark, in my opinion.

I do trust you all to decide on your own - but I believe this book should be a must read for all of us - especially those who are or might or will be going through similar types of things. I learned a lot. I cried and laughed and cried more - but it really helped me. And it brought back much of my Mother's last couple years - and I learned from it - even though her illness was different - many symptoms were the same.

I hope those of you who do read it - feel much as I do about it - and unlike Amazon, I think it's one of the best written books I've ever read.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Sparkle » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:56 pm

I think this is a must read for those who HAVE'NT experienced dealing with this disease. I know I'll be a lot more patient if someone asks me a question, then asks it again in a few minutes. Before I would have taken it personally, now I understand that they have no memory of either the question or answer given. Anything that makes us kinder is good.
Also the book isn't nearly so dry as Amazon made it sound. You care about Alice, you get mad at some members of her family, you change your opinions about them. I was totally involved.
Sparkle

Postby WickedLady » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:48 pm

Not for me. I worked in nursing homes and saw all of this disease I never wanted to. I also have a friend well advanced with it. I'm having enough of a problem over the upcoming demise of a terminal friend.
I read to be entertained (like the TV shows I watch) so don't care for subjects like that.
WickedLady

Postby Bethers » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:52 pm

Ok, what I'd really like to know - is who is going to read it - because it is the book for the month - the rest of you - your choice is fine - not everyone is going to read every book selected. Me, I want to know everything I can about something that might effect me one day - even if I've been close to it in the past, I learned so much more from this book - and I still say is one of the best written books I've ever read, going against the review by the person on Amazon. For those of you who are going to read it - I hope we can have a good discussion - even if just a few of us.

I've already loaned the book to Sparkle, who couldn't put it down - and now it's loaned to someone else here - it's that kind of book for those of us willing and interested in reading it.

Oh, and a comment on Sparkle's last post - where she says those not familiar should read it. I was and am familiar - and learned so much - felt so much - that I think those familiar can learn a lot from this story.

While some of my reading is for pleasure alone, some of it is to learn more and more - I understand that isn't so for all. Just like some of us like pbs and informational tv, and some only want the comedies, etc. Me - there can be a time and place for it all.
Beth
Bethers

Next

Return to Book Talk