Planning for your pet

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

Planning for your pet

Postby bluepinecones » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:35 am

ALL MY CHILDREN WEAR FUR COATS by Peggy Hoyt

"This book is for you if you, a friend, or a loved one has ever loved a pet. It will hold a special significance if you have an aging pet or have recently lost a pet, if you are a pet lover who has recently been diagnosed with a life threatening illness, or if you are simply concerned about your pets future."

When the unexpected happens ...who is there to care for your pet? Whether you die or suffer a long illness, this is a critical issue to consider.

The importance of this issue hit home with me after the circumstances that brought Annie into my life. She was only 3 when her owner, a young single man with no family, died very quickly after falling ill. The friend who was managing his affairs was not a pet person and had decided to put her down because he did not know what else to do after running an ad in paper with no takers. Fortunately for all of us, he mentioned his plan to someone who called me. She proved to be a wonderful companion and brought me great joy. I went thru 2 major surgeries (hip replacements) while she was in my care. I was lucky to make arrangements for her during the long recovery and my absence from the house. But I did so without having any longer term plan for her.

I desperately wanted another pet after losing Annie but was reluctant to get one. Could I properly care for another? What would happen to the dog if something happened to me? I could get sick again and it seemed likely that any new pet could outlive me; a fact that rarely crosses ones mind when they are younger.

After studying ALL MY CHILDREN WEAR FUR COATS, I was comfortable that proper provisions could be made for its care should something happen to me - long or short term. It helped give me the courage to get another dog, Nicky.

If you have not already made some plans for your pet or you don't know about the many options that might be legally available for doing so, I urge you to read this book.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Re: Planning for your pet

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:49 am

Thanks for posting this! I am a member of a breed forum for Cresteds & this topic is brought up frequently. We have it written in our will, as to what should happen with our animals, and the person who will take them is fully aware of it & has agreed. Our pups are a comittment to us & we wanted to provide for them in the event that we are not around. It is something a lot of people never think about, til it is too late. So glad you were able to save Annie!
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby Liz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:42 pm

Good advice, thanks.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Sparkle » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:13 pm

Annie was one of those special dogs. She had a good life with you.
Sparkle

Postby Bethers » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:43 pm

A friend of mine in AL would have gotten Moxie or Tips if they had survived me. A friend of mine in TX will get Peaches if that should happen. Until spending the time here, she would have gone to the same friend in AL, however, she has bonded with this friend here - and she and her hubby even asked if they could be her caretakers if, God forbid, that were to happen. So, I changed things, as this would be best for Peaches.

That said, I'm going to outlive her and be devastated when that happens. Then, I'll have another and do it all over again.

Yes, it's very important to do this. You have no clue how many animals we got at the humane society because owners died or were no longer physically able to take care of them. They thought their family would care for them, but never asked - and nope, family didn't want them. So sad.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to Book Talk