Grandma Gatewood's Walk

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

Grandma Gatewood's Walk

Postby Bethers » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:15 pm

Grandma Gatewood's Walk by Ben Montgomery is the story of Grandma Gatewood who walked the entire Appalachian Trail - TWICE. A blurb:
"In 1955, at the age of 67, Gatewood told her children (who were now adults) that she was going for a walk. They did not ask where or for how long, as they knew she was resilient and would take care of herself. About 5 years earlier, Gatewood read an article in National Geographic about the AT and thought "it would be a nice lark," though in retrospect considering the difficulty she added "It wasn't." "

It's an easy read - sometimes going into what was happening in the area/world at the time - giving her background, etc, and sometimes I wish it gave more about the hiking itself, but still recommend it. I have people tell me sometimes that I'm an inspiration - THIS woman is an inspiration to me, all these years later. I thought of her the other day when my knee was aching on a hike here. I then thought, "I haven't felt anything, yet!"
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Grandma Gatewood's Walk

Postby SoCalGalcas » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:10 pm

Thank You Beth! I got it from the library and loved it! I had never heard of her. I have recommended it to the two daughters.
Funny thing today, I got an ad from Nat'l Geo stating clothes for trekking. Hats, $40, T shirts, $30, etc, etc. You get the point!
What a wonderful woman in more ways than just a hiker!
Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Bethers » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:08 pm

Oh, Lyn, I'm glad you liked it, too. I just reread it last night and today. I liked it before; I love it now.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby PeggyinCT » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:26 pm

Hi Beth,
I read the book last week or so, and there was Liz's posting of Old Man's Cave in Hocking Hills State Park and the trail in Ohio named for Grandma Gatewood. I've been at the trailhead at Springer Mt. And I've hiked some sections of the trail here in CT and MA and VT. Always dreamed about doing the entire trail, but that never happened. I enjoyed the book. Peggy
PeggyinCT

Postby Liz » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:25 am

I'm reading it now, and am amazed at how she accomplished it in those days.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby TarheelBornGal » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:25 pm

I bought this book for my step-father, who has always dreamed of hiking the AT but knees won't allow it. I have got to borrow it from him the next time we're there. I love reading this kind of stuff even though day hikes are enough for me!
Emily
Still RV dreamin'...
TarheelBornGal

Postby SoCalGalcas » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:10 am

I am so happy to see all who are reading this book...I loved it...thanks to Beth for mentioning it. My daughter just finished it and she too loved it. lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby chalet05 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:14 am

I borrowed the audio book from the library (downloaded to my phone). What a wonderful story! Steven and I met a few people who were hiking in segments back in 2001.
Anita
chalet05

Return to Book Talk