Book Recommendation

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

Book Recommendation

Postby mtngal » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:34 pm

Hi, wanted to mention this book before I pass it on to my DD. It's historical fiction, meticulously researched. I really enjoyed it and learned about the Mexican side of the Texan war for independence, not to mention new information about the whole Alamo story. The protagonists are so real I thought they were for a good portion of the book!

"The Gates of the Alamo" by Stephen Harrigan

Harrigan has also written "Aransas" and "Jacob's Well", neither of which I can find at my local used book store.
Diana
mtngal

Re: Book Recommendation

Postby Liz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:51 pm

Sounds like a good one....I like historical fiction.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby LegalLady » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:38 am

I'm currently reading a series of "Queen" mysteries by Fiona Buckley. It's about a woman iin the time of Queen Eliz (the original one) who acts as a secret agent for the queen. There are 7 or 8 of them, quite good.
Leslie
Boston, MA
2007 Roadtrek 210P
LegalLady

Postby Sparkle » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:40 pm

okay, what is our next choice going to be? We have 2 or 3 suggestions here already. If we go with another Jodi one (and that can be for the one after) I just bought Vanishing Acts, that sounded interesting. But it might be good to space these out. I also have one she wrote about a murder mystery involving the Amish. Let's make a choice so I can get reading.
The Gates of the Alamo - Aransas - Jacob's Well
One of the "Queen" books
A Jodi Picoult
Sparkle

Return to Book Talk