Travels with Charley

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

Travels with Charley

Postby asirimarco » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:42 am

Finally downloaded and read John Steinbeck's Travels with Charley. It was a pretty darn good book. About his travels across country in 1960 with his dog Charley in his truck camper. Worth reading it.
asirimarco

Re: Travels with Charley

Postby gingerK » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:14 am

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:35 pm

I remember reading it years and years ago and the impression it made on me. Then I re-read it just two years ago when someone on here mentioned it again. I think reading it now with one ear on history and the changes that have come about since Steinbeck wrote the book makes the reader consider a whole other level of the experiences Steinbeck was reporting about then and how the country has changed (or not....) :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Dell » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:24 pm

If you like that book, I also recommend another cross country travelogue by William Least Heat Moon titled "Blue Highways". As the name implies, Mr. Moon is Native American; his views are typically highly observant of nature and how humans interact with it. Fighting his own disillusionment and heartache, his trip helps him reconnect with his basic belief in hope, not just for himself, but for America. Blue highways refers to the color of back country roads that maps used to be printed with. I have recently purchased another travel book of his titled "Road to Quoz" but haven't read it yet. I'm saving that for my next long trip to Tennessee and beyond in April.

Speaking of blue highways, I think Nan, Sarah, and I found a few on our way to Wickham Park from Hillsborough Park. Nan's big new rig was having to dodge around overhanging trees on narrow roads. They were scenic, though! 8-Dell
Dell

Return to Book Talk