Feb Book: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

Feb Book: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Postby cookiemom » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:15 pm

Hey everyone. I decided to choose My Sister's Keeper for the Feb Book.

I hope everyone will enjoy it.

Debbie
cookiemom

Re: Feb Book: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Postby Bethers » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:41 pm

I finally got my copy of this book today. Loaned it to Sparkle to read first, then I will. Am really looking forward to reading it.

Have you got your copy yet????
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby cookiemom » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:06 pm

Beth,

I did get the book from the library.

I like the story so far, and can't wait for everyone else to get started reading the book.

Debbie
cookiemom

Postby Sparkle » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:21 pm

Oh my God! I just finished that book and I'm emotionally drained! I even skipped Line Dancing because I couldn't put it down. One night I got up and started reading again. Very thought provoking.
Sparkle

Postby kelpie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:19 am

I read this one several years ago and like it very much. She is an unusual author in that many of her books are about very timely controversial subjects and she gets you to think about them in completely new ways. But every 4th or 5th books she writes a really strange one. I wonder why that is? And which ones are more representative of the real her? Anybody else know what I mean? I remember stories but not always titles - she wrote one called The Pact the first one I ever read and did not like. So I didn't read anything else for years. Then my cousin recommended some specific titles and now I'm a big fan. She wrote one about humpback whales which was strange and one about a cartoonist(fairly recently, but not her latest) Anybody read any of these?
Kellie
and Eddie the wonder dog
2000 Four Winds
http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/kelstravels
kelpie

Postby cookiemom » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:26 pm

The only other Jodi Picoult book I have read is Vanishing Acts. I'm undecided if I will read another of her books.

I don't really like the way she flips from present time to years before and back again all from each characters point of view.

I did enjoy both stories just not how they were written.

I think I will probably read another of hers to try to decide. Do you have a suggestion which of her others are better?

Thanks
Close to Mesa Verde National Park in Southwest Colorado
cookiemom

Postby kelpie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:19 pm

Debbie - I am terrible at remembering titles but I promise to do some research and get back to you. If I forget, remind me in a couple days.
Kellie
and Eddie the wonder dog
2000 Four Winds
http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/kelstravels
kelpie

Postby Paulette » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:39 am

Checked out My Sister's Keeper at the Library on Tuesday night. Finished it last night! Yes, emotionally draining. Yes, very good book. Does make you think and wonder if "There but for the Grace of God go I". Hmmmm. I'm ready for the discussions whenever they start.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby cookiemom » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:52 pm

Is everyone finished reading the book that is planning on it?

We will wait if need be.

Let me know,
Close to Mesa Verde National Park in Southwest Colorado
cookiemom

Postby cookiemom » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:31 am

Okay, all of the questions I have will be from Jodi Picoult's website.

Do you think Anna did the right thing, honoring Kate's wishes?

Do you feel it was unfair of Kate to ask Anna to refuse to donate a kidney, even though this seemed to be the only way for her to avoid the lifesaving transplant?
cookiemom

Postby mtngal » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:25 pm

Oh gosh this was such an intense book, I probably really need to read it again to absorb more of the conflicting stories, personalities, family dynamics.

Re: the two questions, I will be looking forward to hearing other's views. For me, no judgments about what the girls each choose to do. It seems like they were both little more than pawns of the parents. I'm not sure either really had a choice.
Diana
mtngal

Postby Bethers » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:12 pm

Ohohoh, as to those questions - I'm not a good book clubber in that I've disliked these formal questions that get asked LOL -

But - I'll give a couple cents worth to answer them, then I'll say what I want to say.

Do you think Anna did the right thing, honoring Kate's wishes? Yes

Do you feel it was unfair of Kate to ask Anna to refuse to donate a kidney, even though this seemed to be the only way for her to avoid the lifesaving transplant? No and Yes

OK, I'm going to say I loved this book and absolutely HATED the ending of the book. It ended with the parents (well, the Mom) getting what she always wanted. While most of the book followed what could have and has happened realistically - it ended with Kate basically healed - by a kidney - which could never have healed her - it could only have helped her kidney - not anything else to do with the disease.

That said, this book made me mad MAD MAD sometimes. At one point I put the book down for a couple days because I was so frustrated and mad at the Mother - that I had to walk away from it. When she would say she loved her children equally, no, she didn't. Everything she did was for Kate and only for Kate. When she wouldn't let Anna sign up to go to that hockey summer camp I wanted to lose it.

Anna was born to be a donor, and that's the only way her mother could love her. Sad, she had to die to prove it. As I said, Mom won, didn't she?
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Sparkle » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:19 pm

I think someone should have noticed that the Mom needed counseling. She got the bit between her teeth about saving Kate and developed tunnel vision. Her son was ignored, her second daughter, used. The father was a nonentity. I too hated the ending. Mom won, and although the author says at the end she asked for advice, I too thought it was unrealistic. And it ended the way it began, Mom and Kate. Still no word about the son or the father. So if we take it a step further, Kate wants to get married, or even move out for a life of her own, what will the mother do then? I think her attitude would be, you owe me! I gave up everything for you.
All that said, I really enjoyed the read. So many books just pass the time. This one engaged our emotions...and then some!
Sparkle

Postby Sparkle » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:37 pm

Checked out and then realised I hadn't answered the question. Kate should have been able to tell her mother that she was done with surgeries and treatments. But her mother was so domineering Kate knew she couldn't talk to her. Oh, I was also mad at the Doctors. Not one of them thought about Anna, or of saying, let Kate go, we've done all we can. They used to call pneumonia, the old man's friend. Now they can treat it and people are left to suffer a long slow painful death.
Sparkle

Postby Paulette » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:06 pm

I agree that as the girls aged it should have been a decision that each of them could have made on their own, not something that was just expected of them.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Next

Return to Book Talk