Jack Reacher

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

Jack Reacher

Postby havingfunnow » Wed May 29, 2013 9:32 am

Well, the film is now available in DVD, so I've seen it. It was okay. I probably would have liked it better if I hadn't read the books. Tom Cruise did a good job with the role, but he is just not big enough or physically menacing enough to be Reacher.

On the other hand, it got me started rereading the books, so I'm having lots of fun! :D
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Re: Jack Reacher

Postby SoCalGalcas » Wed May 29, 2013 9:42 am

I'm in the process of reading all the books right now. Love them! Haven't seen any of the movie...altho Tom Cruise bought the entire series, I too cannot imagine him in the role of Reacher. Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby OutandAbout » Wed May 29, 2013 3:10 pm

SoCalGalcas wrote:I'm in the process of reading all the books right now. Love them! Haven't seen any of the movie...altho Tom Cruise bought the entire series, I too cannot imagine him in the role of Reacher. Lyn

That's probably why Cruise got the role. Not a fan of his. I wonder how long he will stretch out his playing the character before giving another actor role? Tom Clancy's character Jack Ryan was played by at least 3 actors with no harm to the series. Alec Baldwin, Ben Aflack and Harrison Ford all played Jack Ryan.

I haven't read any in this series yet. Think I will hit the library and get a few. Will make some good summer reading. Linda
OutandAbout

Postby JoanE » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:30 pm

I've read every Jack Reacher book. Personally I thought Liam Neesum would have been perfect for the role.
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby relaxing101 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:13 am

Anybody but Tom Cruise! He just does not fit the image of 'the real Jack Reacher'!!

But I do enjoy the books!!

Bonnie
Life is a maze full of choices! Choose your path wisely!
relaxing101

Postby Sandersmr » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:28 pm

I'm now up to book 9, and I still can't see how Tom Cruise could play the role and not sure I want to find out. But so much of the books twists and turns are because of Reacher's size.
Maggie, Oscar and Jasmine (and sometimes Mark)
2002 F-150 Supercrew
2010 Sportsmen Classic 16BH
Sandersmr

Postby Bethers » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Sandersmr wrote:I'm now up to book 9, and I still can't see how Tom Cruise could play the role and not sure I want to find out. But so much of the books twists and turns are because of Reacher's size.

I don't see many movies, and probably never would these - for me books are almost always better than the movies - only rarely does the movie live up and once or twice I found one better - sometimes because of who plays the part, sometimes because of what they decide to keep/cut, etc. Once because a book that scared the crap out of me, was only mildly scary to me as a movie. But most found that movie wonderful AND scary. I laughed at parts and remember reading that the director actually put the humor in because he thought it was TOO scary ... to me, it became unbelievable (without mentioning the name, it was a Stephen King book and movie and was a blockbuster - so most of you would probably disagree with me).
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to Book Talk