Kindle

Talk about your favorite books, Review Books, Monthly Book Club

Re: Kindle

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:25 pm

I think I will stick to real books for now, and wait until they perfect the ebook readers and lower the prices on them in a year or two.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby VickieP » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:29 pm

I'm sticking to real books too, when I nod off and drop them, I don't have to worry! :oops: :lol:
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:07 pm

Ok, I thought we'd pretty much beat this topic to death, but I still have a comment to make.
Yesterday I got to see firsthand, my neighbor's new Kindle. It was really nice, pretty much what I
expected. Later I got to thinking about using the audio part on my iPhone, which she demoed and I thought was really cool.
Now I have a question concerning the Kindle audio books:
After trying to figure out how to play audio on my iPhone Kindle app/Kindle for PC app, I did an internet search and as near as I can tell a person has to have a subscription, (14.95 a month), in order to have this option!?? :twisted:
That is a big turn off for me as that was a feature I was looking forward to utilizing. I'm going to have to talk to my neighbor again and get the skinny on that!
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:46 pm

Lenora, the free download of Kindle (or any e-reader) to the various phones and computers is because they want to convince you to buy the actual e-reader. And in Kindle's case they want to lock you in to only being able to get their books. You realize, their free ebooks can be used on the other e-readers - but you can't use the free books of the others on the Kindle.

That said- I wouldn't be surprised but that they have fees for some of those options being used on the freebies they are giving. They want you to buy. Now, I'm very curious as to whether or not they charge extra for it on their device that you've already bought? Let us know, please.

And, oh my gosh, us ever have a topic beat to death? hahaha - there's always more we can say :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mtngal » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:06 pm

I am thrilled with all the interest in eReaders! BTW, when I said I loved my Kindle, what I really meant was that I love eReaders in general. I am using Kindle only because the app was available on my iPhone and I didn't want to buy another device.
Thanks for all the good info everyone has posted; it's all fascinating to me.
Diana
mtngal

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:49 pm

Ok, went next door and got the skinny on the audio part for the Kindle device. There is no extra charge for that on the Kindle itself, but it is not part of the Kindle app when using the iPhone or any other device. Beth you were correct.
Also the free audio downloads wouldn't work for the Kindle app as it was only for changing text to speech for emails or presentations in another format. Not ebooks.
So, no audio for Kindle other than on the Kindle device itself.
Beth, Another thought: As for downloading books from other ebook sources. Kindle offers 465,000 books so far so I think I'd be safe in saying I wouldn't be needing another source.
Also Kindle connects anywhere, no WiFi involved. No aircards needed.
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:40 pm

Well, yes, they have lots of books - but what if they don't have the book you want - that someone recommends? That can happen - or if the book they have is more expensive - you don't have the choice to buy it cheaper on the other site. That's the option I want. I'll buy books through Amazon - to use on the Nook - if they are cheaper. B&N does have more ebooks - don't know how many more, but that was written in a recent newspaper article I read - which started me on this whole thing. And one of the guys on my singles forum sent me a list of books he wants - wanted to know if he could get them in ebooks - twice as many of them were available on B&N than Amazon - still not quite 1/2 on his list were available totally. I'm sure that'll change - but he has some older but not classic authors. It was fun to check for him. So that was important for him to know. But he likes that there were a couple on Amazon not on B&N - and he can buy either place - IF he gets the Nook. He's still struggling with reading them on an ereader over holding the real book.

I'm not against the Kindle, - I'm against the proprietary status. As long as you're using the free version on your phone, go for it - but I wouldn't pay for it - not as long as they are proprietary - that's just me.

Actually - as long as people are reading - I'm excited. I hate seeing reading going by the wayside. I have hated seeing bookstores closing - my favorite closed up in Milwaukee while I've been on the road. That's another reason I'll personally support B&N - as even tho they are a chain, they are a real bookstore, and I don't want to see them close to an etailer.

If you read my post comparing the 2 - both connect anywhere - kind of - even your air card doesn't connect anywhere. They use the 3g network of AT&T - and if you can't get that network, you don't connect. Believe me - there are places you won't connect. The Nook (the one comparable in price to Kindle) also has wifi on it - so if you can't get that network, but can get on a wifi network - you can still connect. The Kindle doesn't have that option.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:02 am

I guess the proprietary thing just isn't a deal breaker for me. If I buy, I'll pick the one that fits my needs best: functions offered and ease of using them, looks, ease of downloading, ease of connectivity, how it feels to hold for any length of time etc. I'm still not a fan of the keyboard on the Kindle. I just feel it would make it hard to hold it while reading. Like I'd be stuck with only being able to place my hand in a certain spot all the time.
I think tomorrow I'll go check out the Nook. Then stop by Target and see if they'll have a Kindle to play with (probably not). Who knows what I might come home with!??! :lol: Altho my neighbor showed me her Kindle, she seemed reluctant to let me actually hold it and do anything on it. ;) I had to ask her if I could just hold it to see how it felt in my hands and she acted like I was a 5 yr old and going to drop it! :lol: I'm not in any hurry to purchase as I can use my iPhone until I decide.
It is sad to see bookstores go out of business, but that's what the electronic age is doing to us. One of downtown Portland's famous bookstores, Powells, went out of business a few years back. I loved browsing in that old bookstore. To compensate they put a small shop in at the airport. Yep, sad....
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:49 am

Don't ask me why I dreamt of this - about the internet thing. To explain the difference having wifi would make - when I worked at the north rim where Kelly and Echo are now - there is no cell service and no internet. But they do have wifi - so the Nook would still connect. Lots of part of this country I travel where I find a wifi connection if there's no cell service. If I go with this, that would be important to me, should I want to pick up new books.

As to the proprietary - I almost alway price shop - I wouldn't want to be in a position where I couldn't. But I understand, that's me.
Beth
Bethers

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:51 am

:lol: Beth, I think we need to give this a rest if it's taking over our dreams! :lol:
I understand now, what you are saying about the wifi.
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:02 am

Scary, isn't it? I'm hoping with their price wars, they'll come down a bit more in price, too. That's the beauty of not being in a hurry.

My dreams are full - I think I threw out a bunch of pictures I hadn't yet scanned - and am sick to my stomach over it. Maybe they'll turn up at my friends house, but I don't think so. Will check there this weekend tho. Anyway - I went through all of them sorting them - so I might just have to live with those memories of those pics - and hit on some friends of mine who were at the same places, to see if they can at least share a couple pics.

Needless to say, it was a restless night last night. :twisted:
Beth
Bethers

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:23 am

I just sent the B&N website to my son and said Christmas gift suggestion. Lets hope he comes through.
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:13 pm

Sorry about losing all those pictures, Beth. That would make one heartsick.
Looks like I won't get to B&N today, perhaps tomorrow when it's really hot and I
need to sit in some AC. Like you I am in no hurry. Perhaps the prices will come
down towards Christmas!

Carolyn, great idea to drop that hint now!!
AlmostThere

Postby sharon » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:52 pm

With all of this discussion and Beth's info about the nook, that's probably the one I'll get, only because it has wifi on it. We stay in quite a few motels that have free wifi but no computer for the guests and it would be really nice to be able to check mail and check on motels on our route. Although I did check B&N for one of my favorite authors and her books were several dollars cheaper than Amazon. This is pretty much for trips on the bike, as when I'm home I buy my books at my local used book store. I like to go in there, chat with Cheryl, go back in the corner, sit on the floor and read a little of the books I may want. I love books, love the smell and love to handle them. Plus, if I've really screwed up and bought a book I've already read (happens more often than I care to admit), Cheryle just exchanges it for another one. She's a reader too and understands. LOL! I've been buying books from her for over 25 years and I just dread the thought of her closing the store.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:02 pm

Sharon, I use to go to a bookstore just like that in Alaska! Love it!
AlmostThere

PreviousNext

Return to Book Talk