first flakes of the season

Ladies, Show off your talents!

Re: first flakes of the season

Postby Bethers » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:30 pm

Oh, I love those and would love to have someone teach me. It will take lots of patience on the teacher's part. I am going to have to see about trying something on my own, also ... but ... Well, Vicki, if you are successful, let me know and maybe I'll give it a shot on my own :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby havingfunnow » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:12 pm

Oh, Bethers, go ahead and try! The first few make you feel all fumble-fingered, but that stage passes pretty quickly. There are lots of instructions on the internet. I learned from a library book, so how hard can it be? :D
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:26 pm

I have never heard of this craft before, but here's a short Introduction video I found on Youtube.
Very cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ9DOF7zdGg

mitch5252

Postby chalet05 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:35 pm

I finally remembered to check this out - I love them!! I bought a kit many years ago, but it was one of those things I just never got to. Interesting to hear it is relaxing like knitting, which I don't do.
Anita
chalet05

Postby Dawn309 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:03 pm

Beautiful! I had never seen any quilling before. Not sure that is a good word. Your friend will really love those.
Dawn, Rascal, Belle
Sunshine-2012 Coachmen Encounter
http://dawnsrvlife.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/dawn.goodrow.shive
Dawn309

Postby havingfunnow » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:23 am

Thanks, Dawn. My friend did indeed like them -- but here's what's funny: she took the bigger box (snowflake about 12 inches across) to open at her daughter's house. Daughter immediately put the snowflake in her china cabinet, next to the conch she collected. She liked it so much that she talked her mother into leaving it there on extended loan! :D

Daughter was a little scared to tell me about it, in case I was offended. I laughed so hard. Really, who could be offended as such a big compliment? :lol: Now I get to make another big snowflake for my friend. More fun!

Quilling is a strange-sounding word. It sounds all spikey, like something that would hurt your hand when you touch it. And of course it's nothing like Native American quillwork, which makes patterns using porcupine quills. Originally, the paper coils were shaped on goose quills, so that's how it got its name. I've never had the chance to see any antique quilling, but I'd really like to.
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby snowball » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:30 pm

that really looks like fun
might have to look into it
and you did really good work
sheila
snowball

Previous

Return to Arts & Crafts, Decorating Projects