Plastic Bag Rug

Ladies, Show off your talents!

Plastic Bag Rug

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:22 am

Well, I got this bright idea to crochet a rug out of plastic bags. Here is the result. I have not crocheted since I was in elementary school, oh, just take my word for it, it's been a very, very long time. :lol: I got it a little too short so my next one will be better, I'm sure. It's single crochet stitch and it turns out to look very good. What I have read about these rugs is that they wash well in the washing machine so we will see. Image
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Re: Plastic Bag Rug

Postby Fernie » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:37 am

I have a friend who does that. I give her all the old blue Walmart bags I find cleaning out the sheds and closets---you know where you save them cause you might need them or need them when you have a yard sale!! LOL!! I just took her a half dozen or so I found the other day. They are neat and a great way to recycle!!
Handle every stressful situation like a dog..
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away...
Fernie

Postby avalen » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:13 pm

oh man, my post disappeared,
I remember hearing about those plastic bag rugs years ago, but the ladies were
using the empty bread bag. I don't remember how it was done though, could you
embellish a little on instructions? please,? are you cutting strips or what?
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Mtntophoundz » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:05 am

That is neat! Did you happen to keep count on how many bags you used?
Mollie
A hubby, 2 skin kids,
Fur-sons Shane & Rascal
It is in the woods we return to reason and faith..... ~Emerson
Mtntophoundz

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:13 am

Let me try this. I used about 50 bags of different colors. I folded the bags to about 1-2 inches and then cut the end off and cut in about 1" loops. Take the loops and put them together using a half-hitch knot to attach all the loops to make a string. Then ball it up and use a large crochet hook and hook away. Now I know that probably doesn't make sense but if you google plastic bag rugs you will get detailed instructions and directions as to how to do it.

Since I am such a novice at crocheting, I know these pictures on some of the websites will explain it much better. It will be a great craft for the winter time. I have collected a lot of the old walmart blue bags and plan on using those with the dollar general store yellow bags next time. I'll also make it bigger.

Some people make purses, dog leads, water bottle holders, etc. It looks fun, plus I like the recycling part. Those bags just seem to replicate when you put them in a dark closet...gee wonder what they do behind closed doors. :oops:
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby Bethers » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:35 pm

I'd send you bags - but my recycling of the bags is to collect dog poop LOL And people save their bags for me, too! But if I ever learn to crochet, this does look like fun - and I might have to start purchasing bags for Peaches - and use these for rugs, etc.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:51 pm

Gee Beth, thanks for the thought but once everyone around knows you are doing something like this, they bring every bag known to woman! I have plenty. When I first started I went to Opry Mills Mall and went around collecting colorful bags, some stores would let you have a couple while others said no-go. The texture of the bags makes an impact as to how easy they are to work with.
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby Sunseeker » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:59 pm

I love these rugs. Are they slippery on the bottom though?

Funny you said about your bag's usage, Beth. Our collection is dedicated to pooper scoopers too. In fact, if I see someone walking a dog without one, I am kind enough to hand them one of ours. They mostly say "thanks", although I've met with some pretty rude responses as well.. :o ... Hey, they didn't start calling me the "poop police" for nothing! ;)
Sunseeker Jill
also Tommy and furkids Sami and Molly
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby Bethers » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:59 pm

hehehe - thought I'd be told that was too much information - you said it so nicely :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Carolinagal » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:40 am

I thought this was the neatest idea. I plan to try it. I seem to have plenty of bags at all times for both uses. They surely must be doing something behind my pantry door.

Carol
Carolinagal

Postby Lotus » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:52 pm

Way to go Carolyn! Glad to see it completed now. What's your next project.

Bec
Lotus

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:25 pm

Oh, Boy.....something to crochet when I'm done with making all these baby afghans... :lol: Will have to google and see what they have to offer.... ;)
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Return to Arts & Crafts, Decorating Projects