Slipcover for Sofa

Ladies, Show off your talents!

Slipcover for Sofa

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:24 pm

I had previously made a black sofa cover thinking it wouldn't show dog hair from my two black dogs. BAD idea! It didn't show dog hair - it showed EVERYTHING else so I finally worked up the energy to make slipcover that matched my dinette. Decided to make it in two pieces so it wouldn't pull loose in the middle everytime someone sat on it.

Here the back is done. Buddy not too happy that I keep disturbing him on HIS sofa.

Here its done including a new pillow.

Then decided to remove the day/night shades in the bedroom area. Have never liked them or their color. The cords either broke or pulled loose from the wall. Much homier.

Believe me, the sofa cover is MUCH harder than making dinette covers.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Re: Slipcover for Sofa

Postby avalen » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:00 pm

very nice, I like that fabric
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Paulette » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:58 pm

Great Job. Looks nice and I like the curtains in the bedroom too!
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby asirimarco » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:40 am

very nice looking - good choice of fabric. know what you mean about black - I did it long ago with navy blue carpet -
asirimarco

Postby Bethers » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:55 pm

Great job - like how it all looks. I'm jealous of all you talented sewers (well sometimes - I don't have enough time as it is so maybe it's a good thing sewing and I don't get along). But, yes, when I see what you can do - yep, I'm jealous.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MsBHaven » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:38 pm

Karen, that looks beautiful! You are so talented. For those of you who haven't seen Karen's motorhome in person, it is a really nice size and has a wonderful bedrom. Of course, with those big beautiful dogs she needs that big bedroom!
2013 Thor Chateau Citation Sprinter - 24' 10" - 2 slides

Ms"B"Haven (Margie)

3 Chihuahuas (Buddy, Annie, Maggie)
MsBHaven

Postby dpf » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:42 pm

Looks super Karen....love your choice of fabric.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby SeeyaGal » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:14 am

Dang I'm jealous too!!! Our sofa has this crappy like of vinyl that is suppose to be leather and it is splitting everywhere!!! Need a new sofa!! And the cats DID NOT split it!!! I can't replace the cushions they are attached to the sofa.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:46 pm

What a great job! I, too, love the print on he fabric.
AlmostThere

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:07 pm

I love your slipcovers. The fabric is great. Even with your instructions, I tried & tried to make a slipcover, but could not do it. Sewing is not my forte'! I did discover a full size fitted sheet fits my sofa so I at least have something washable on it to protect it from the dogs. If I ever make it to a GTG, I'm bringing my sewing machine so you can teach me. ;)
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby soisew » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:31 pm

Great job. I need to make covers for all our furniture. We have pet hair too and the dinette cushion fabric worn out. Right now I have a single piece drape over the couch as with all the hair and dirt it needs to be washed and vacuumed often. the J-couch has ultraleather and it's great for not getting dirty but I cover it as the cat claws (even just walking or jumping on and off) leaves little holes. I cover it with a drape too but it just slides off which is a real pain.
soisew

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:56 am

Nice job! That looks like professional work!
Cedar518

Postby Getupngo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:06 am

Karen, great job on that slipcover! In looking at the pictures ... I'm trying to figure out if you put cording in along the top ... or just seaming to black fabric. Also, how do you keep the fabric pulled in at the "L" of the couch. Mine is all one piece, and I have a tough time keeping the quilt I toss over the top tucked in. Is there a trick with a slipcover?

UPDATE: I looked up your earlier how-to post and saw the cording. Nice. I have a jacknife sofa ... so I think the construction would be different. Hmmmm.....
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:49 am

I actually made the slipcover in two separate pieces and tuck them in the middle. My sofa seat has the T-cushion seat which is a pain to fit. To get it to fit had to make it close on one end with velcro. I don't make a pattern, I just lay the fabric on the sofa right side down and pin, pin, pin. Actually the sofa cover is much harder than the dinette seat covers. I'd be happy to show anyone how - all they have to do is come visit me. :mrgreen:
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Return to Arts & Crafts, Decorating Projects