Travasack clone

Ladies, Show off your talents!

Travasack clone

Postby JoanE » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:40 pm

After spending a month in my RV trying to get sheets on the corner bed and finding it very frustrating to make it look nice and neat each day, I decided I needed a Travasack. My daughter does custom bedding, window treatments, etc for a living but she is also busy. So I went to our local Home Goods store, found a duvet and a summer weight quilt. Ellen is going to cut both to fit my mattress, put in zippers to attach them and I hope to have my version of a travasack. Since I live in FL and do not expect to be doing much winter camping in cold climes, I think the quilt will be fine. If not, I can add a goose down insert to my duvet. Will post pics when it is finished. She is also cutting down some sheets to fit the sack.
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Re: Travasack clone

Postby Brewsterivy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:14 am

Joan - I know it has been many months since you posted this, but I am really interested in making something like that. Did your daughter sew the 2 quilts together - one for top and one for bottom and then you lay it on top of mattress and climb in, or did she enclose the mattress in the sack? I saw that Liz had a Tavasack in her RV and it looked great but not made any longer. My trailer bed is just too high and too big for me to reach over without crawling all over and wrinkling it again!

Carol Brewsterivy
Brewsterivy

Postby JoanE » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:05 am

My daughter cut the duvet and the light quilt to fit my mattress with a small overhang. Then she sewed in zippers to attach the two together (recessed a little so they don't show) but which can be zipped completely apart to wash one or both. Along the inside at the foot she sewed in three buttons. For inside, she sewed together two flat sheets that she cut to size. Put in button holes along the foot seam for the three buttons. I found that I need more attachment for the sheets to the quilt/duvet. I sewed in some velcro. It just makes it easier to give the whole thing a shake to make the bed in the morning and have everything line up the way it should.
JoanE

Postby Brewsterivy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:53 am

I think I can picture it now. It is sort of like a big sleeping bag in which the sheets fit in and are buttoned/velcroed in place. I think I can do that with my new quilt that I bought. It is really pretty, queen size, with blue and brown birds. However, it is bigger than the bed so I doubt the bed is fully queen. With that overhang, it would fit nicely and allow me a few inches for sewing. Now if I can figure out how to thread the bobbin I will be fine!! :lol:

Thanks, Joan. I look forward to meeting you one day!

Carol Brewsterivy
Brewsterivy

Postby longdog2 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:40 am

Just curious as to where you found zippers long enough to go round? And Joan, did you choose a duvet just so you could put a goose down insert into it? My queen bed is walk around but we sometimes use the dinette for a bed so it might be convenient to have something like this for that single bed. Pictures would really be great.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby JoanE » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:30 pm

Colleen, my daughter has a business where she makes custom bedding, window treatments, etc. She can get anything.
JoanE

Postby Getupngo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:51 pm

I am envisioning TWO down comforters, a thick one below as a feather bed and the other over the top for warmth. Insert sheets and Mmmmm ....
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby HorizonSeeker » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:01 am

When I was clearing out my house I decided to hang on to the 2 bedtoppers I had. They are both featherbed queen size toppers and make any mattress so much more comfortable. My friend Peggy sewed 2 sheets together to make something like a large pillow case for them which is easy to remove for washing. Here at the Amazon camp I sleep on my foldout couch which can be so uncomfortable but I just lay one of these over the folded out couch and voila you have a really comfortable bed. I kep a duvet from my guest room that I really liked the colors in - lots of blues - and during the day I leave the couch out with the mattress topper in place then throw the comforter on top and lots of pillows so that it's kind of like a daybed. I have the second topper and it's "pillowcase" stored up in the over cab bed in case I have a guest and have to put myself back up there. Sleeping on a feather mattress in the upper is like sleeping on a cloud.
www.horizonseeker55.blogspot.com
One (re) tired teacher and a spoiled fox terrier in a 24' Itasca Spirit
HorizonSeeker

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:51 pm

Pictures, please.
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Return to Arts & Crafts, Decorating Projects