Craft Retreats and RV fun combined

Ladies, Show off your talents!

Craft Retreats and RV fun combined

Postby AliceM » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 am

A few years ago, I stumbled across online information about a cross stitch (needlework) retreat being held at Silver River State Park in Ocala, Florida. I emailed and asked if it was ok if I stayed in the rv section of the park instead of the cabins but still attend the retreat. They said sure.. and I have been doing it every year since.

Recently, I discovered that there is a cross stitch retreat in Kentucky at a state park in November. I had huge hopes of doing the same thing... but found out that the park closed the rv section on November 1st and kept only the lodges open during the winter. I'm still going but not in my rv. Will take the camper van instead. I don't own a "regular" car.

Anyway, I'm always keeping an eye out for cross stitch retreats at state parks. I was wondering if there are others that do this.. with other crafts.

Its nice to be able to combine interests. When I go to the cross stitch retreat, I get to do their retreat, rv, and geocache. Win, win, win. :)

Alice
Alice's Rolling Repair Bill
AliceM

Re: Craft Retreats and RV fun combined

Postby JoanE » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:50 pm

I am just learning knitting, so finding a place where I could improve my knitting skills would be nice as I travel around.
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby cpatinjones » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:08 am

I am hoping when I retire and able to travel as much as I want, I would be interesting in craft (cross-stitch, photography, ect.) retreats. A great way to make new friends.
Last edited by cpatinjones on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:00 am

What a great idea!!! :D I alternate between counted cross stitch and crocheting...(right now giving the cross stitch a rest and doing some crocheting... ;) ).....I just may have to look this up.... ;) I also find that at some CGs especially during the winter with snowbirds, alot of folks get together in the community/club room for "Bees" or coffee clashes while doing their hobbies....have learned alot that way, too....
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby AliceM » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:23 am

A real bonus I have found when attending craft retreats in my rv, is that when I get tired, cranky, etc.. I can just go to my rv for some quiet time. Plus, the added benefits of getting to sleep in my own bed and having my coffee and email in the morning in SILENCE. Even my dog knows to approach with caution first thing in the morning.

When I attend the Kentucky retreat, I'm going to see if they are open to the suggestion of moving the retreat up a week or two next year so rv'ers can attend. With fuel being so expensive, I like to combine as many interests as possible. That is the beauty of rving. So while I stitch with the ladies, I hope to also do some geocaching in the park.

For those not familar with geocaching its a simple treasure hunt, played world wide of locating useless treasure hidden in plastic tupperware. www.geocaching.com

Alice
AliceM

Postby linann » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:51 pm

Hi Alice,

It has been months since you posted about the cross-stitch retreat at Silver River SP. It sounds like a fun event. What month (date?) is the retreat held each year.
Linann
Live boldly one day at a time
linann

Postby sharon » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:40 pm

Linda, I think it started on Oct 10th...Alice may still be there, not sure. She left the AR GTG on the 9th headed for that.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby AliceM » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:15 pm

Been a long time since I posted in this topic. Brick City Cross Stitch, www.brickcitycrossstitch.com hosts the retreat every October at the Silver River State Park near Ocala, Florida. I'm already booked for Oct 2012. Verify the dates with the cross stitch shop prior to booking. If interested or if you think you just -might- be interested.. at least book your rv spot ASAP. It fills up quick as there are several other annual events taking place around that time near the state park. The first loop in the rv section is the closest walking distance to the cabins where everyone else will be stitching.

I went this last October, right after the Arkansas GtG. Unfortunately, wasn't feeling up to par while there.. missed two days of it as I was sort of under the weather and decided to stay in the rv. Another great benefit of having my own home on wheels. Anyway.. after the retreat.. got home.. and it wasn't a week or two later, landed in the hospital.. food poisoning trickering some issues that resulted in a six day stay...totally non related to the cross stitch retreat.

Anyway.. this resulted in me having to cancel the Kentucky stitching retreat in November. I was looking forward to that . Oh well.

But feeling just fine now and am getting ready for the Texas GTG in two weeks. No stitching retreats planned.. but still on the look out for them.

Alice
AliceM

Postby HorizonSeeker » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:23 am

Alice, what park in KY? I've geocached in a lot of KY since it's so close to Nashville. And then I did live there for 3 months last winter.
www.horizonseeker55.blogspot.com
One (re) tired teacher and a spoiled fox terrier in a 24' Itasca Spirit
HorizonSeeker

Postby Gentleladybear » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:31 pm

If you put Cross Stitch retreat in your search bar it turns up all kinds of cross stitch retreats. This must be a very popular event.
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby AliceM » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:23 pm

I'll have to relook up the Kentucky location.. it was this past November. Cross stitch retreats are popular but finding them at state parks or close to rv parks.. is the tricky part. I just sort of lucked into it finding the first one. Usually, they are at hotels or just a one day event at a local shop.

It really is nice when we can combine our hobbies. But when you think about it.. rv'ing just goes with EVERYTHING. :) Can't beat it for geocaching!

Nan - aren't you going to some sort of quilt show soon?

Alice
AliceM

Return to Arts & Crafts, Decorating Projects