My summer project

Ladies, Show off your talents!

My summer project

Postby oregontocal » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:05 pm

I've been working on this king-size quilt top this summer - first full-size quilt I've made in a number of years as I usually make paper-pieced wall-hangings. This one will be an auction item for the San Diego Astronomy Club's annual fund-raising banquet. It's an Eleanor Burns' "Quilt in a Day" pattern, "Star Log Cabin." However, I think the "in a day" thing is kind of a misnomer. Still have the fabric for a few of the borders to buy and add, but here's how it looks so far. I decided to take advantage of the space and huge table available here to put it together. Not sure how I could do it in my RV.

This is the main border fabric - I picked it out first, then drew out the various colors for the rest of the quilt.
oregontocal

Re: My summer project

Postby asirimarco » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:35 am

It's beautiful - love the border material I have the book/pattern but haven't tried it yet - makes me want to go check out my "stash" and get busy
do you hand do it or machine do it?
asirimarco

Postby avalen » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:11 am

as a fellow quilter, I can honestly say its beautiful and your pick for the
border fabric is outstanding!!
I've really wanted to get my machine out and serviced so I could get back
into making quilts, you've inspired me a little to get my butt in gear. :P
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:30 am

Beautiful!! I used to quilt but my kids weren't interested and they kept piling up. Tried to sell some but people just aren't into paying for the craftsmanship. Finally donated them to the women's shelter. I do miss the making of them. You do great work.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Paulette » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:03 am

Chris, that's beautiful! Make sure to post the pic of the finished project before you give it away!
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby Bethers » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:18 pm

Chris, I love the quilt. Unlike the others, while I like the border fabric, I wouldn't use it for that quilt - but that's why we all like different things. I love them each separately - and it's a good possibility you'll win me over when I see the finished pic :) I've discovered that my eye for somethings is great, and for others, not so great - and that's probably the case here.

Great work and yep, I want to see the finished product. My sister started quilting several years ago and has had quite a few displayed and gives a couple a year to various charities for their auctions. I told her after finding out what the auctions are getting for her quilts that I'll never be able to afford one.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby oregontocal » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:01 pm

Hi, Beth---I wouldn't use the border fabric in large quantities, either. It would be way too overpowering. I'm going to include a few fairly narrow borders in colors from the quilt top, then use the fabric in a little wider border near the bottom, and finish off with another more solid-looking color. That way the wilder print won't jump out at people but will pick-up all the other colors.

I've actually done this particular pattern once before, about eight years ago, for another raffle, this one for my son's middle school class trip to Washington, D.C.
oregontocal

Postby Bethers » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:29 pm

Very nice. I like that one, but like the new one better - and, like I said, I bet I'm a believer with that border after I see them together. And even if I'm not, the vast majority will be - and I'll be the oddball LOL - although after looking at the other finished product, I think I'll like them together done. I don't have a good artistic eye for those things, unfortunately. Or fortunately - I have enough time consuming hobbies!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Lotus » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:01 pm

Such talent...and a great eye for color. Both of the quilts are outstanding.

Becky
Lotus

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:26 pm

Chris.....both quilts are wonderful!!! I use to quilt, too....but no room in the 5er.....so now I do counted cross-stitch and crochet afghans......but since we've been here with friends, I've helped Donna put a quilt on her new frame and it does make me consider taking it up again......guess I could piece together a top and have my sister finish it as she quilts, too.....can't wait to see the new one finished.....

Lori
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Re: My summer project - update

Postby oregontocal » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:36 pm

It’s kind of tricky taking a picture of a king-sized quilt top here, but I finally managed to lay it out before the wind kicked up again. The top is now done, so I’m going to take it into Cherryvale to be quilted. Then it will look a lot better!

oregontocal

Postby Getupngo » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:55 pm

Chris, I am a quilter, too, and I think your quilt is GORGEOUS. The simplicity and colors are striking, and I admire your ambition doing a king-sized quilt. OMG. I love the border fabric -- will you be using it as the backing as well? I can't wait to see what it looks like quilted.

I was the quilter from hell before my DH died -- losing him fried my brain, and for the longest time couldn't do anything that required more than two steps (or thinking, for that matter!! LOL!). It has taken me the LONGEST time to get "me" back, and I've decided to start quilting again. Now to pick out a project ....
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby oregontocal » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:10 pm

Janice, thank you. I could use the border fabric for the backing IF I can find more of it. I bought it from the Quilt in a Day store in Carlsbad, CA way last January, so I'll have to order it. Then again, I might settle for something a little simpler for the back just in case someone wants to use it on their bed but doesn't want so much ACTION. That might be easier. I love the fabric in small doses, but it might be a little too much in such a large piece.

I've never, ever made a king-size quilt before. It was easy enough doing the blocks at the Lodge this summer when there was lots and lots of room, especially those wonderful tables pushed together. Finishing it up here in this little RV has been pretty challenging--sometimes I felt like it was taking over the place, especially when I was trying to sew all the borders on. Thank goodness there's a place nearby that does machine quilting. It would be madness trying to do it myself here. Then again, maybe I could hand-quilt it. NOT!!! :lol:

I'd love to see what you decide on as your next project.
oregontocal

Postby Bethers » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:27 pm

See, Chris, I have to bite back my initial words - the border works great with it. It looks fabulous.
Beth
Bethers

Postby asirimarco » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:15 pm

It's absolutely beautiful! Makes me want to do one. I have packed all my quilting away until we return to the house in the spring -
asirimarco

Next

Return to Arts & Crafts, Decorating Projects