Patterns for slipcovers

Ladies, Show off your talents!

Patterns for slipcovers

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:58 am

I want to make slipcovers for my RV. The sofa, small recliner & bench seats for the table. Do any of you know where I can find a pattern? I'm not the best seamtress but I think if it's straight line sewing I could handle it. Thanks for any ideas. :D
NakedPupsAndMe

Re: Patterns for slipcovers

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:02 am

Doubt if you will find a pattern - I never did. Its all straight line sewing so don't be intimidated. Just take it one seam at a a time. Wish you were coming to the Texas GTG I could show you how. Start with a strip that is cut at least 2" wider than the sides of your cushion. You will need at least 1" seams all around. Basically lay your material around your cushion RIGHT SIDE DOWN. Its just a strip that goes around the cushion. On the back side cut the strip twice as wide as you need. Cut in half length wise fold along the long edge and sew velcro on each side that is long enough to go slightly around each end about 3". (You will be sewing one strip of Velcro on the right side and one strip on the wrong side) Just be sure you leave enough for seams, better too much than too little. You can always trim the excess. Pin the part of the strip with the velcro to the rest of the strip by laying it around your cushion, right side to the cushion. Keep it pretty tight to the cushion as you pin. Sew strip together.

Now lay a piece of fabric, wrong side up, on your cushion. Now start pinning your strip to the cushion fabric. Again, keep it pretty tight to the cushion. At the corners where you need to make it sort of round, I use an ink marker to mark the seam to be sure I "round" it out there.

Put the piece back on the cushion RIGHT SIDE TO THE CUSHION. Now pin your cushion piece to the rest. Open the velcro to remove and sew.

I keep stressing - BE SURE YOU'RE SEWING RIGHT SIDE TO RIGHT SIDE OF MATERIAL or you'll be ripping and resewing.

This sounds complicated but its all straight sewing one piece at a time. Just use pinning to make your fabric fit whatever you're covering. Pin pretty tight as the cover loosens somewhat when you turn it right side out. Be sure when pinning that you leave enough for seam on the other side, too.

PM me if you need more help.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:01 am

Thank you! I wish I was coming to the GTG too! But Texas is way too far for me right now. I've got some scrap upholstery fabric from another project so I'm going to give it a try. Thanks. :D
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:29 pm

If you want to wash them, be sure the fabric is washable. Some upholstery fabrics will shrink to half their size if washed.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby oliveoil » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:04 pm

Very good instructions Karen!!!!!!!!!!
I had several bed spreads (or quilted spreads I found at Garage sales-- cheap) that looked like old fashioned quilts----- & I used them to cover the cushions in our last little travel trailer we sold---------(wish we had it back now)--as we are selling our 5er & truck at our auctions-----& probably later we will buy a smaller class C again-----but I have made cushion covers for all the trailers we have remodeled! And I usually found really nice quilted spreads at garage sales in really good condition & used them----- when I found a king sized spread I could cover several cushions with it & make throw pilows to match!!!!!
You gave good directions Karen---- I can show some one how----but not talk them through it like you did---very good!!!!!!!!
oliveoil

Postby dpf » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:29 pm

If your plans are for a washable project...make sure you wash the fabric before you cut and sew it. If you plan to dry it in a dryer..make sure you dry the fabric in a dryer before you make it. Cold water washing and line drying have minimal shrinkage..but there is still going to be shrinkage.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby Getupngo » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:11 pm

Geez. If I come to the Texas GTG I'll need to bring my Bernina! LOL!

Oh, AND the MH. :roll:
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Return to Arts & Crafts, Decorating Projects