Wabi Sabi gourd

Ladies, Show off your talents!

Wabi Sabi gourd

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:07 pm

Wabi Sabi is a Japanese term that means to find the beauty in nature's imperfections.

I was shopping for gourds to work on at the gourd festival in Arizona and found this one. It was just what I was looking for. The guy taking the money pointed out to me that it had a large crack in it. I said "I know. That is why I want it". He gave me a strange look and then said he wouldn't charge me for it. I wanted to transform this "imperfect" gourd into the beautiful gourd it was meant to be.

Here is the finished Wabi Sabi gourd...

There is also a Japanese word of "Kintsugi", meaning Golden Joinery, is the art of repairing cracked or broken pottery with Gold or Silver. As a philosophy, if an object has been damaged then it has more of a history and should, therefore, be celebrated and highlighted, rather than hidden or discarded. As a philosophy, Kintsugi is similar to the Japanese philosophy of wabi-sabi – an embracing of the flawed or imperfect.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Re: Wabi Sabi gourd

Postby Bethers » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:31 pm

Barbie, I love the gourd and the meaning which makes it even more special.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cudedog » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:43 pm

BarbaraRose wrote:Wabi Sabi is a Japanese term that means to find the beauty in nature's imperfections.

I was shopping for gourds to work on at the gourd festival in Arizona and found this one. It was just what I was looking for. The guy taking the money pointed out to me that it had a large crack in it. I said "I know. That is why I want it". He gave me a strange look and then said he wouldn't charge me for it. I wanted to transform this "imperfect" gourd into the beautiful gourd it was meant to be.

There is also a Japanese word of "Kintsugi", meaning Golden Joinery, is the art of repairing cracked or broken pottery with Gold or Silver. As a philosophy, if an object has been damaged then it has more of a history and should, therefore, be celebrated and highlighted, rather than hidden or discarded. As a philosophy, Kintsugi is similar to the Japanese philosophy of wabi-sabi – an embracing of the flawed or imperfect.

Barbie, you put a big smile on my face with your Wabi-Sabi gourd. It is beautiful - and *perfect*.

Very nicely done!

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby JudyJB » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:04 pm

That looks gorgeous! You need to get more of these imperfect gourds and focus on them.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby snowball » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:06 pm

it is beautiful Barbie
what are your plans for it?
sheila
Anne hi!!!!
snowball

Postby Bethers » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:09 pm

Hi Anne! Good to see you.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Acadianmom » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:07 am

Barbie, your gourd turned out beautiful.

Anne, your jewelry is beautiful.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:48 am

Thanks for the compliments! I sent the photos to Gloria, the gourd artist I spent the gourd festival with. She loved it too, so that was really encouraging! Maybe I found my niche!

Sheila, I will be keeping this one. I plan to eventually use the name "Wabi Sabi Gourds", if I end up making and selling these, so this will be my mascot of sorts.

Anne, love your jewelry! I love copper. Very pretty!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby MandysMom » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:56 am

Your gourd is georgous! So perfect in its imperfection. While living in Morocco, I learned one of the tenets of their faith is, only God (Allah) is perfect, so everything they make has a purposeful mistake or imperfection in ot somewhere, because to make something "perfect" without mistakes or imperfections would be an affront to God/Allah.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Cudedog » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:57 am

BarbaraRose wrote:Thanks for the compliments! I sent the photos to Gloria, the gourd artist I spent the gourd festival with. She loved it too, so that was really encouraging! Maybe I found my niche!

Sheila, I will be keeping this one. I plan to eventually use the name "Wabi Sabi Gourds", if I end up making and selling these, so this will be my mascot of sorts.

Anne, love your jewelry! I love copper. Very pretty!

Thank you for you kind comment, Barbie. Much appreciated!

I removed the link to my Etsy shop from my above post, because I suddenly realized it was a bit rude to step on your thread in that way. Apologies!

I work on my jewelry hobby nearly every day; maybe when I get a few more pieces made I will start my own thread.

Barbie, I really love your most recent gourd!

To me, gourd art is very unique and beautiful - especially this Wabi-Sabi one. I definitely think you should consider starting your own Etsy shop. It is really easy thing to do, the most bothersome and difficult part of the whole thing is trying to take decent photos with my smart phone.

But you are also (obviously!) a better photographer than I am; this photography thing might be easier for you than it is for me.

Happy also to hear how much your home has appreciated in value since you have lived there. Good decision not to sell!

Thanks again!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:37 am

Velda, in Japan, they do that too, where they put a small intentional flaw in their artwork.

Once I have enough gourds to start selling, I will get an Etsy shop.

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby monik7 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:50 am

I love this gourd Barbie. Beautiful in its imperfection.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Shirlv » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:00 pm

Barbie, the gourd is beautiful and very meaningful
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby snowball » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:56 pm

it is also something that the American Indian do... I don't deliberately put in a mistake on my crocheted afghan's however if I make an error I don't always 'fix' it ... as long as it doesn't change things in the long run...
it is beautiful Barbie
Anne I will need to look at your jewelry
sheila
snowball

Return to Arts & Crafts, Decorating Projects