Homemade Fire Logs

Ladies, Show off your talents!

Homemade Fire Logs

Postby IrishIroamed » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:36 pm

If anyone is interested in making their own fire logs and doesn't want to spend $$ on wood or worry about bringing wood across state lines, the Livewell network show Deals had a way to make your own fire logs. Kind of a nifty idea (to me) as long as you still read newspapers and have a place to store them.

Newspaper file logs
1. Collect your newspapers. A large pile from a week or two's reading should be a good start.
2. Fill a tub of water.
3. Roll newspaper tightly on a broom handle. When approximately 5" in diameter are reached, remove from the broom handle. Ends can be tied with string if needed.
4. Soak each log thoroughly in the tub of water.
5. Layout to dry.
6. Once thoroughly dry, the newspaper logs are ready for use. They should be stored in a dry, well-ventilated area

Cotton ball fire starter
Soak cotton ball completely with petroleum jelly. Store in container until use (sample was a small plastic camera film canister).
Flame will light almost immediately and be wind resistant (to some degree).
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Re: Homemade Fire Logs

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:53 pm

Well, doesn't that sound interesting! I'll have to go to the local newspaper's office - they're always telling you to stop by and pick up as much newspaper as you need!

My Dad used to make little tight twists of newspaper, wet them, and then dip them in wax.
I tried that once, but man, craft wax is really expensive. Nice to see this doesn't call for wax!

Thanks.

mitch5252

Postby JudyJB » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:13 pm

But I'll bet you could collect the bottom pieces of old candles--you know, the part you end up throwing away when the fat ones are mostly burned?
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby bluepinecones » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:12 pm

Sounds like a neat idea and has the advantage of being much lighter weight than hauling fire wood, not to mention easier to handle plus no splinters. If you try them Mitch, please give us a review. Interested in finding out how long one might burn.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby MandysMom » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:17 am

Not sure why you wrap around a broom handle as I seem to recall doing these years ago by just rolling, tieing, and soaking then drying. Boy that was a while ago, but we only buy a paper now and then to put in the parrot cage.
Be interested in Mitch's review, because I don't remember anything except making them! Maybe it was for Boy Scouts.
OK I just asked Mel and he reminded me it was when we lived in Reno we did it. That would have been 79 to 86! No wonder I don't recall, I was busy having babies and raising them. He says we soaked in salt water to make them burn slower, he thinks it was, but it created a lot of ash which of course would not be a problem in a campfire.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:46 am

Interesting on the salt water!
mitch5252

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:00 pm

Every "recipe" I read says to soak the paper and roll it around the dowel wet.

http://tacticalintelligence.net/blog/newspaper-logs-firewood.htm
mitch5252

Postby IrishIroamed » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:25 pm

I tried to find the actual clip from the program...no luck. Then Googled how tos...no luck, but most of those mentioned wax which the guy didn't mention at all.

So long story short the instructions are from memory. If I see it again I'll Record it cuz who knows how good my brain is anymore :(
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Return to Arts & Crafts, Decorating Projects