question for those who sew

Ladies, Show off your talents!

question for those who sew

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:25 am

I need to connect two curtains together but since they have "scenery" on them, I can't overlap the edges or the picture on it won't match up right.
I will be using this to separate my bedroom area from the living room area in my studio so I want it all to be one piece instead of two so there won't be any gap between them.

Is there some sort of fabric tape that I can iron on the back both edges to hold them together? Sorry if I am not explaining this well. Here is a link to a photo of the curtains so you get an idea of what I am talking about...

http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Beach-Trom ... window+art
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Re: question for those who sew

Postby MandysMom » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:21 am

Nice curtain, help you think warm when it's below zero in MN! Haa haa but yes I know there are various iron on tapes that might work. I don't sew much so hope someone with more knowledge will answer.
How is the ear Barbie?
Velda
MandysMom

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:40 am

Barbie, there is an iron on "hem" tape. You would need to use a ribbon to run the length of the seam; then the iron-on tape, then the curtains. Wash in cold water so the hem tape doesn't come lose in the wash.

There is also an iron-on "lining" fabric that comes in different thicknesses. You could cut a strip the length of the seam and just iron on. I would use the thickness that most matches the fabric in the curtains so it will hang well. This is probably the best option and easier than above.

Good luck.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Marslet » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi, there is a roll of tape called Heat Bond, readily found at Wal Mart stores that still have fabric. Works really well.

Marslet

Marslet

Postby OutandAbout » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:17 pm

There is also fabric glue that you can use. So many options. Good luck with your project.

Linda
OutandAbout

Postby avalen » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:26 pm

just get the stapler out and staple :lol:
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby dpf » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:55 pm

If the curtains have a hem on sides you could remove the stitching and have someone stitch the two together right along the fold line so you would maintain the continuous look. Maybe you could barter a haircut with someone who could do the work.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby snowball » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:11 am

dpf wrote:If the curtains have a hem on sides you could remove the stitching and have someone stitch the two together right along the fold line so you would maintain the continuous look. Maybe you could barter a haircut with someone who could do the work.

I like this idea...good one Pat
sheila
snowball

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:26 pm

That is a good idea, and I checked and there is a folded seam on the sides that I can undo. There isn't much of a pattern in the design in the middle anyways so there wouldn't be much matching up to do. What little there is, wouldn't be too noticeable if it wasn't perfectly lined up anyways.
I just bought a new sewing machine so I can sew the seam myself, if I don't go with the sticky tape. Looks like it will be another month before I can move, so am not in a big hurry to get this done anyways.

Thanks for all the ideas! :D
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Return to Arts & Crafts, Decorating Projects