Has anyone done any stenciling?

Ladies, Show off your talents!

Has anyone done any stenciling?

Postby Olive600 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:06 pm

I'd like to stencil a couple of blackout roller blinds. I've seen examples and videos on-line, so I think it can be done. Anybody here have stenciling knowledge to pass along? I've never done any at all.

Nikki
Olive600

Re: Has anyone done any stenciling?

Postby chalet05 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:28 pm

I did a lot of stenciling in the house we built. Imagine the video you watched covered everything well. If the paint is wet, just be very careful when you move the stencil. If design has different colors close together, just use masking tape to cover what you don't want to paint. Getting the right amount of paint on the brush is probably the one thing that took practice - load the brush and then getting the excess out on a paper towel. Fun to do and a nice touch!
Anita
chalet05

Postby Olive600 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:54 pm

Thanks, Anita. I think I'll give it a try.
Olive600

Postby avalen » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:23 pm

I did stenciling too in a house long long ago. It was easy but time consuming cause I wanted to let the paint dry before I moved
the stencil. The stencils had little marks to line stuff up for like when you do a border. Tips....pretty much what Anita said.
Seems to me I used a special stamping type brush, it was round with stiff bristles and I stamped it (the paint)
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Olive600 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:25 pm

Thanks, Avalen. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'm always skeptical about these projects, but I'll give it a try.
Olive600

Postby OutandAbout » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:04 pm

Use some adhesive spray on the stencil to keep it in place. This will also prevent the paint from running under the stencil if the brush is too wet. Good luck with your project. Linda
OutandAbout

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:24 pm

Yes, get a good stipple brush and stipple the first few taps onto a paper towel so you don't start out with too much paint and use a quick tapping motion using the flat of the bristles. It's great fun!
AlmostThere

Return to Arts & Crafts, Decorating Projects