crochet projects

Ladies, Show off your talents!

crochet projects

Postby soisew » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:05 am

Here are some of my numerous crochet projects. I mostly do rugs, placemats, coaster, etc.

motorhome's kitchen rug and cats, Feisty (on rug) and Emmy, only half there...

1st crochet rug I did, ended up being 7 sides, rather unusual. Shown here in the house's hall bathroom.

close up of another rug
soisew

Re: crochet projects

Postby Bethers » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:29 am

Those are really nice. Maybe I need a lesson in croceting so I can make rugs that I like for my rv. Hmmmmmm - something to think about. Lori's nearby and she crochets- you a good teacher Lori?
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:29 pm

These are wonderful, Shelly!!! Haven't ever tried to do the rugs, etc....mostly afghans and baby clothing.....will have to look into it.....did you use the heavier Crochet Cotton for them?? I have taught others to crochet, Beth, but I always remind folks that I'm left handed.......it works if you sit across from me.... ;)
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby soisew » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:24 pm

I made the rugs with acrylic yard. It wears better but rugs can be made with cotton or wool. I used a double strand for some rugs, 3 strands for another and 4 strands for yet another. So, I experimented! The 3 and 4 strand rugs have nice weight. I found out though that all of them are a bit difficult to clean by conventional means. They grab dirt and hair like crazy but don't "shake out" well at all. I have a mini upright/stick with a power driven roller brush. A regular carpet vacuum is to powerful to vacuum these rugs -- it will eat them alive! They wash up great though! Therefore if any of you wants to make them, know ahead of time what thier limitations are. One great this is they stick great to carpet and don't scoot or bunch up as bad as rubber backed rugs. But on hard surface flooring they need a rubber sticky pad to hold them in place as they slide on smooth floors too well. I don't have a pattern -- I had to experiement as I went with shaping. I changed colors as often as I wanted. With the multi strand yarns I mixed colors (like 2 or 3 different reds) or my favorite mixture (hot pink, neon orange, and bright yellow). Just experiement with putting different colors together to get the effect you want. And I used a lot of the multi-colored yarns paired with coordinating or complimentary colors. It can be quite addictive and why I have 6 of them, each different.
Shelley
soisew

Postby avalen » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:03 pm

wow, a rug, I never thought of that, I usually just make afghans and dog capes.
What size hook are you using for the rug work? My favorite afghans with my favorite
krinkly kind of yarn takes a K hook. I'll have to post a couple of my afghans too.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby soisew » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:20 pm

I don't remember what size hook I used. The hooks size depends on the number of strands and how tight you want to work. I work with what I call medium tension so as not to cause undue stress on the yarn or your hands. It will be a larger hook though. It's all about trying to see what works.

You are right that doing home crafts (sewing, quilting, crochet, clothing construciton, and cooking are dying skills...A few younger ladies are trying to get into the act but many working ladies just don't have the time. And, I fully understand that. When I worked full time I didn't have time to do all that stuff and I suffered for it.

Shell
soisew

Postby Nasoosie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:40 am

I LOVE the idea of crocheting rugs!!!! The area in my trailer is so narrow for rugs, but I could design a couple of them to fit just perfectly!

YES......time to get out all my yarn and hooks and needles! I am gettting inspired!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Echo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:13 am

For shame Ladies.....

No one said a single word about the Flamingos!!!! They were looking pretty spiffy strutting their stuff in the hall bathroom. sheesh

Shell love the work. I've only ever made on afghan. It was a queen sized one for my parents bed, it turned out really great and they loved it. But I don't have the patience to do them up really. Oh my goodness I would get so frustrated at how long it took me. I would have to hide it from my site!!! LOL It was a granny square one, I used bright orange for centers, a variegated fall colored yarn for the body and brown for a border. It really did turn out nice but oh heavens, I don't know if I could ever do another one!!!

I do like to sew when I have time tho! LOL Might have to go to to Janice's house and hi-jack her embroidery machine. Would love to get into that but dang it all those things are expensive!!! Watch out Janice!!!
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby soisew » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:57 am

Yup, Echo I love that Flamingo shower curtain too. It's packed away in a box in storage. One day we'll see it again. ~~ Shell
soisew

Postby snowball » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:16 am

I personally have never done it but I understand that you can crochet plastic bags suppose cut them in strips to make rugs with suppose to wear forever or there abouts. Just a thought
sheila
and your rugs looked great Shell
snowball

Postby soisew » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:26 pm

I have tried the plastic bags but I found it was a pain to cut and work with.
Shell
soisew

Return to Arts & Crafts, Decorating Projects