Constructed a non-sew (almost) sun screen for front window

Ladies, Show off your talents!

Constructed a non-sew (almost) sun screen for front window

Postby JudyJB » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:50 pm

My front window in my Class C motorhome often lets in too much light for me, and I believe that to be a cause of my migraine headaches. It is especially bad if there is an almost-all-white RV across me reflecting the sun. My recliner faces the window in order to watch TV so I end up staring into the sun a lot. Here is what the front window looks like:

I do have a night curtain, but it completely blocks the view, and I am a very snoopy person so I like to know what is going on outside:

I had been thinking of buying a cover for the entire front of my vehicle, but they are expensive and heavy and well as being hard to store. So I bought some polyester black speaker cover fabric from JoAnn Fabrics because it was washable and easy to see through. I do not have a sewing machine with me, so I used stitch witchery to iron on seams. I folded the top seam over several times and put in a couple of layers of the stitch witchery so it would be stiff and strong enough to hold the snaps. I left the outside edges unfinished. I also ironed and then hand stitched the bottom seam so it would NOT be stiff.

I also bought a kit to add snaps. You put the top of the snap through a hole in the fabric, and then put on the part that snaps, and smash the whole thing with a small rod, which makes the snap hook things bend and fasten everything together. I used a cement post I found on the edge of my campsite, but you are really supposed to use an anvil to pound the parts together.

I started in the middle and kept trying it on for size and for snap spacing. I tried not to make it too tight in case it shrank someday.

I put in a small pleat between the outside snaps and the ones next to them to give the fabric some room in case I decide to fasten it to the sides someday. Here is my finished project. I might still decide to screw in some snaps down the sides, but am waiting on that because it needs further thinking. Cost was about $45 total.

JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Constructed a non-sew (almost) sun screen for front wind

Postby MandysMom » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:00 pm

Judy what a great idea! Nicely done. Do your front seats swivel?
Velda
MandysMom

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:21 pm

Judy, you definitely made good use of the chilly windy beach days. :) Good job.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby JudyJB » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:24 pm

Front seats do not swivel because the cab floor is 10" lower than rest of the motorhome. Don't really need them for seating anyway.
JudyJB
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby grammynmaggie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:33 pm

Good job Judy... I find a lot of heat comes in my front
if I don't keep something covering the windows when sunny out
Do you have that problem?
grammynmaggie

Postby gingerK » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:56 pm

Smart idea, nicely done.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby Liz » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:46 pm

Looks nice, Judy.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Bethers » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:12 pm

Great job. I want to figure something out just for the windshield - maybe velcro? As I have the mesh that goes over my windows - and I can then open/close them and get more fresh air, no bugs etc when sitting still. But, like you, I want to see out the front, but would like to stop the glare, etc. You've got me thinking!

Love what you did!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:46 pm

Beth, maybe even magnets?? I think Velcro would work also. I already had the snaps so once I found out about the do-it-yourself snaps, the rest was easy.

I had considered window screening, but even the plastic stuff is stiff and sharp. The speaker mesh fabric is soft and very light and folds up very small.
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby snowball » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:22 pm

looks good ...you will have to let us know if the headaches lessen. hope they do but I'm sure if nothing
else you will feel less heat
sheila
snowball

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:47 am

Wow, what a difference that makes in cutting the glare out the window! Great job! It probably also helps keep people from being able to see in quite as much too.
You gals are so creative!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Bethers » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:56 am

JudyJB wrote:Beth, maybe even magnets?? I think Velcro would work also. I already had the snaps so once I found out about the do-it-yourself snaps, the rest was easy.

I had considered window screening, but even the plastic stuff is stiff and sharp. The speaker mesh fabric is soft and very light and folds up very small.

The company that made my window screens used a soft material that folds up, too. Not like window screening. Good to know yours is speaker screen for when I'm looking. And the snaps for my curtain are in the area yours is up, so I could do that also. Air would still come through. Decisions decisions lol. Such a great idea! Thanks again, even if I never get it done, but hope I doa
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to Arts & Crafts, Decorating Projects