Space Center Houston

Tell us about interesting places you've been - things to see and do - pictures please!

Space Center Houston

Postby mrstchr » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:49 pm

Hi everyone. We recently visited NASA at Space Center Houston. We very much enjoyed it and were lucky enough to go on a day that was not busy at all. There is so much history there and a great deal to read that, with three kids in toe, wasn't all read, unfortunately. If you haven't gone, try to. Buy tickets online, they are cheaper. I posted some pictures at my blog... www.rvingnorthamerica.com

Joanne
mrstchr

Re: Space Center Houston

Postby Sandersmr » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:32 am

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Having grown up with NASA in my back yard, I have gone through several iterations of a visitor's center. We were a little leery when SCH first came in, that it would be too much "entertainment" and not enough history and science, but that really hasn't been the case... although it still chaps me to this day to have to pay for it - LOL!
Maggie, Oscar and Jasmine (and sometimes Mark)
2002 F-150 Supercrew
2010 Sportsmen Classic 16BH
Sandersmr

Postby Bethers » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:41 am

Now you gage to auto your way to the space centers in Alabama and Florida. They are all different and worthwhile.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:28 pm

I would love to visit there. My dad worked more than 30 years for NASA (actually was NACA originally). He with 3 others were responsible for designing the ultimate shape of the space shuttle (called a lifting body - glides to earth with no power from lift created by its shape). There's even one of the original lifting bodies they designed, the M2-F2, hanging in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. He was presented with a small flag that was carried on Apollo 17, the last mission to the moon December 7-19, 1972. That flag and presentation letter now hang in my office. Can you imagine how proud I am of my father? I sure hope I can get to Johnson Space Center some day. Looks like a wonderful tour.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Bethers » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:58 pm

monik7 wrote:I would love to visit there. My dad worked more than 30 years for NASA (actually was NACA originally). He with 3 others were responsible for designing the ultimate shape of the space shuttle (called a lifting body - glides to earth with no power from lift created by its shape). There's even one of the original lifting bodies they designed, the M2-F2, hanging in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. He was presented with a small flag that was carried on Apollo 17, the last mission to the moon December 7-19, 1972. That flag and presentation letter now hang in my office. Can you imagine how proud I am of my father? I sure hope I can get to Johnson Space Center some day. Looks like a wonderful tour.
Sandi

Sandi, you should talk with Sarah (bluepinecones) who worked in the Huntsville location for years. Who knows, in the traveling she did, she may have known your dad!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Sandersmr » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:08 pm

monik7 wrote:I would love to visit there. My dad worked more than 30 years for NASA (actually was NACA originally). He with 3 others were responsible for designing the ultimate shape of the space shuttle (called a lifting body - glides to earth with no power from lift created by its shape). There's even one of the original lifting bodies they designed, the M2-F2, hanging in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. He was presented with a small flag that was carried on Apollo 17, the last mission to the moon December 7-19, 1972. That flag and presentation letter now hang in my office. Can you imagine how proud I am of my father? I sure hope I can get to Johnson Space Center some day. Looks like a wonderful tour.
Sandi

Having grown up in Houston, I know a lot of people that have worked on different vehicles for the space program. I even know one of the guys portrayed in the background from Apollo 13 - he goes to my church.
Maggie, Oscar and Jasmine (and sometimes Mark)
2002 F-150 Supercrew
2010 Sportsmen Classic 16BH
Sandersmr

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:30 pm

This is on our list to do, especially now that we are parked here in Katy... being my husband is an ex-employee of NASA's JPL in Pasadena, CA... we can't wait to see their facility here.
Gena, traveling with her husband Russell and their "velcro dogs" Mike and Hazen.
Follow along as they grow and learn and live out their dream; http://www.HomeSweetRoam.com
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Postby mrstchr » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:24 pm

Sandi, that is so cool! What a great legacy your dad leaves for us!
mrstchr

Return to Interesting Places