Salton Sea

Tell us about interesting places you've been - things to see and do - pictures please!

Salton Sea

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:47 pm

Gena, traveling with her husband Russell and their "velcro dogs" Mike and Hazen.
Follow along as they grow and learn and live out their dream; http://www.HomeSweetRoam.com
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Re: Salton Sea

Postby avalen » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:04 pm

I am totally amazed and blown away, your pictures should be in life magazine
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby kdmac » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:38 pm

Wow! what a plethora of subject matter to be found at the Sultan Sea...but I must say you have captured it in such a profoundly talented eye for subject and composition...never give up your photography...never.
kdmac

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:49 pm

You guys have me tearing up. :oops: :lol: :oops:
Gena, traveling with her husband Russell and their "velcro dogs" Mike and Hazen.
Follow along as they grow and learn and live out their dream; http://www.HomeSweetRoam.com
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:25 pm

kdmac wrote:Wow! what a plethora of subject matter to be found at the Sultan Sea...but I must say you have captured it in such a profoundly talented eye for subject and composition...never give up your photography...never.

Xs 2! :D
AlmostThere

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:36 pm

I was at the Salton Sea this summer and took a ton of photos like yours. There are so many amazing "ruins" of old cars, boats, RV's, mobile homes, businesses, etc to look at there. It is sad but also fascinating to see. I love to read about the old days when it was a real hot spot vacation area.

The day I was there, I stopped at the old "Yacht Club" (the one with the portholes) which is now a community center. It was about 115 degrees that day (July) and there were a ton of dead tilapia washed up along the shore which smelled unbearable! Unfortunately, I had left my car windows open and when I got back in, there were about a million flies in my car. I had to drive with the windows down for almost an hour trying to get most of them out of my car! Had quite a few that took the next day or two to get rid of.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:52 pm

BarbaraRose wrote:I was at the Salton Sea this summer and took a ton of photos like yours. There are so many amazing "ruins" of old cars, boats, RV's, mobile homes, businesses, etc to look at there. It is sad but also fascinating to see. I love to read about the old days when it was a real hot spot vacation area.

The day I was there, I stopped at the old "Yacht Club" (the one with the portholes) which is now a community center. It was about 115 degrees that day (July) and there were a ton of dead tilapia washed up along the shore which smelled unbearable! Unfortunately, I had left my car windows open and when I got back in, there were about a million flies in my car. I had to drive with the windows down for almost an hour trying to get most of them out of my car! Had quite a few that took the next day or two to get rid of.

Yea... it varied from revolting to awesome. I couldn't bear that kind of heat... we did rush our visit but not sure if I am in a hurry to go there again. :lol:
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:26 am

It is so hard to believe that people actually live there amongst all the junk, garbage, decay (of buildings as well as fish!), smell, and excessive heat! There were some beautiful new homes scattered in among the abandoned and rundown homes.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby MrsHomeSweetRoam » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:34 am

BarbaraRose wrote:It is so hard to believe that people actually live there amongst all the junk, garbage, decay (of buildings as well as fish!), smell, and excessive heat! There were some beautiful new homes scattered in among the abandoned and rundown homes.

I couldn't believe people were willing and actively fishing and eating the fish... (I was told there isn't anything wrong with them...but can't get over the visuals and smells- no thanks!)
MrsHomeSweetRoam

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:38 am

Well, if the fish are dying and washing up on shore by the thousands, I'd say there IS something wrong with them! ACK!

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby cpatinjones » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:19 pm

Gosh! I was not expecting that. :)
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby sharon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:34 pm

DH and I did a lot of jeeping in that area. If the wind is right you can smell it 5 miles away. But, yes, it's fascinating there. There's a couple of really nice state or county cg's on the other side. Plus Fountain of Youth cg with hot springs.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Return to Interesting Places