grayland, WA

Tell us about interesting places you've been - things to see and do - pictures please!

grayland, WA

Postby Christine » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:38 am

Probably not the most interesting place in the world but i do love their state campgrounds... a few miles down the road is Westport.. a very small town and the fishing port. Like the typical tourist shops etc... but i always enjoy going back time after time.
here is just a few pics on this trip.

westport wa by photocopys photos, on Flickr
picture from the new tower

new westport tower 2012 by photocopys photos, on Flickr
the new tower they just got done building..

the beach.. long and bare.... LOL
Grayland beach 2012 by photocopys photos, on Flickr

one of the fishing boats
fishing boat in harbor by photocopys photos, on Flickr

dying seagull by photocopys photos, on Flickr
this poor guy died right after i took this pic... it was sad to see him just topple over...

deer at Grayland park 2012 by photocopys photos, on Flickr
this deer in the park..she was very thin... dont think there is enough food for her.. i hope she will fatten up

and of course my millie taking her nap
millie napping in trailer 2012 by photocopys photos, on Flickr
Christine

Re: grayland, WA

Postby sharon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks Christine, nice pictures! I really enjoy that area, haven't been up there in years, tho. Looks like you had nice weather for your trip!
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby Redetotry » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks for the pictures, your little dog looks really comfy and not too happy that you disturbed his nap! I love the coast of WA wish I were there!!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby avalen » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:12 pm

Washington is so pretty, and Westport looks so clean, will have to put that on my list.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Dawn309 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Looks like a beautiful part of the country. I sure want to head that way at some point. Thanks for sharing. Your furr baby is so cute!
Dawn, Rascal, Belle
Sunshine-2012 Coachmen Encounter
http://dawnsrvlife.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/dawn.goodrow.shive
Dawn309

Postby cpatinjones » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:30 pm

It seems to be a nice area. Thanks for sharing.
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby kdmac » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:38 pm

When my parents retired they moved to Westport where my father was a skipper on his own salmon fishing boats. I spent literally years there with them fishing the ocean for salmon, the jetty for perch, had crabs and shrimp all in excess, it was a great place for us. We drove the beaches at daybreak to find Japanese glass floats until they started using plastic in later years. If you drive down further south of Grayland to Tokeland it's a beautiful drive along the beaches to Willapa Bay and the town of Tokeland has a quiet picturesque harbor and lovely views of the local foothills and out onto Willapa Bay were the channel is so shallow and dangerous that the surf can really be kicked up and wild out as far as you can see. Beaches full of driftwood as you approach Tokeland which has a little "cannery" (can't miss it as it's the only business down there). It's the only place you can buy canned salmon, smoked or regular, cans ofalbacore tuna unlike any where else...it's all not cheap but so worth it. We always got some each time we went down there...it is a must do. Also just before Tokeland is the "Wash-Away" area where for some years the ocean has violently eroded the beach back five miles from it's original position. You can see where the roads end right to the cliffs edge. Some houses may be hanging over the cliffs as they teeter into the ocean. I watched many houses go in to the ocean, quite a sight to see.
It's quiet down there and seems a "nothing" kind of place until you go out on the ocean with the sea lions, never tire of the frolicking otters, marvel at the agility of the porpoises as they ride the bows wake, spot the spray of the giant humpback whales, head out with the tide to beat the fleet in chase of the illusive wild salmon, see the harbor seals peek into your boat to see what's for lunch, be reassured of your father's skill getting you across the bar in wild ocean conditions that make other men turn into boys, to look across the harbor and see the white glaciers and snowfields of the Olympic mountain range just gleam in the clean ocean air. All that and more can become the best memories of your life and cause you to miss the times and the people that will never be again.
kdmac

Postby Dawn309 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:39 pm

Wow, what a beautiful picture you painted with your words. What wonderful memories.
Dawn, Rascal, Belle
Sunshine-2012 Coachmen Encounter
http://dawnsrvlife.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/dawn.goodrow.shive
Dawn309

Postby Nasoosie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:11 am

That area fascinates me, for sure, with it's huge beaches and eroding areas. Your mention of those glass fish net balls reminds me of the ones I found on Oregon beaches back in the 60s----I had one huge green one along with many smaller ones, and, for the life of me, I cannot imagine what happened to those. Hmmmm.

Thanks for mentioning this area.
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Redwahine » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:51 am

Really beautiful. Been to WA so many times, but never to any of the beaches. Not to be missed.
Redwahine

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:05 am

Thanks for sharing Christine. Nan and I both needed to get home to take care of family matters this summer or I would still be out there driving.....But it just means that I need to make another trip west to pick up Washington, Oregon and California.... :) (Now if I can only arrange it to get to CA when Sharon is out East :) ...)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby ellenw » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:34 am

Road trip! Road trip! Road trip!
Ellen (and Tucker of course!), traveling in "Joy," a 2012 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS

http://www.JoyfulMeanderings.wordpress.com

Image Image Image
ellenw

Return to Interesting Places