How do you plan for interesting places?

Tell us about interesting places you've been - things to see and do - pictures please!

Re: How do you plan for interesting places?

Postby carold » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:16 pm

Pick away, Vickie. I have extremely thick skin :lol: well, thick and wrinkled :roll: carold
carold

Postby SeeyaGal » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:28 am

As much as we hate making reservations, we have had to this summer to be close to family for gatherings. Next Summer is going to be a new adventure heading East to places we have never ventured to so this will be interesting. Cats are fine as long as they get their outside fun times. :roll: :lol:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Bethers » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:45 pm

JoanE wrote:Just read Liz's recent installment of her travels and had an "ah ha" moment. I should just write down where Liz went and take the same route. Can hardly get more interesting than that!

Liz will cover the same area another year and take a completely different route. haha - not that I'm trying to speak for Liz, but I do the same thing. Everytime I leave an area I realize how much more there is to see.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby dpf » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:02 pm

rvgrammy1953 wrote:...just got the one from SD and already Ernie's got it "dog-eared" and high-lighted"..... :roll: :lol:

(clearing throat) Am I dog-eared and high-lighted in that book?
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby mtngal » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:52 pm

I like small town activities, ie concerts in park,
art shows, etc so will look online for local chamber or
Main street association. Also love to read the local
papers for interesting fun things to do.
Diana
mtngal

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:31 am

dpf wrote:
rvgrammy1953 wrote:...just got the one from SD and already Ernie's got it "dog-eared" and high-lighted"..... :roll: :lol:

(clearing throat) Am I dog-eared and high-lighted in that book?

:lol: Not yet, but will put ya' down as a possible stopping place.... ;) :D What town/city are you located in or near??? :)
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby dpf » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:32 am

Just about 45 miles straight South and five miles west of Mitchell SD (Home of the World's Largest Bird Feeder) :lol: Free parking with 30 amp hook-up and water. Sorry... no sewer hook-up but I will even give you laundry privileges! :lol: Tell Ernie to look up Fort Randall. We're pretty much on the Lewis and Clark Trail.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:30 am

Directions noted and placed on the STOP list....will let you know date, when it gets closer.....Thanks.... :D
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby monik7 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:45 pm

I'm so new to the forum and RVing, all of your comments are just great. I worry about making reservations early and then finding plans change. But then I worry about getting to an area and then no place to stay. Guess it just takes time to get more comfortable with not having everything all planned down to the last second. I've always been over prepared in my life, so think it will take some time to get used to loosening up and not being so rigid.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby JoanE » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:10 pm

monik7 wrote:I worry about making reservations early and then finding plans change. But then I worry about getting to an area and then no place to stay. Guess it just takes time to get more comfortable with not having everything all planned down to the last second. I've always been over prepared in my life, so think it will take some time to get used to loosening up and not being so rigid.
Sandi

I hear you on the over preparedness. Call me control queen. But I've learned to relax while traveling. If it is a holiday weekend, it is good to have a reservation otherwise I just drive till I am close to where I am stopping, then I check my GPS for cgs up ahead. Sometimes I have to make more than one call but usually I am all set. Works great!
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby WickedLady » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:18 pm

If you Google the states you want to travel thru you will probably find something like; "Discover Oregon" or "Explore Washington" or something similar. Then you can get an idea of the "special places" in that state and decide your route accordingly.
Marda
WickedLady

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:24 pm

I like to travel backroads so sometimes there will be small CG's that aren't listed in the bigger directories. I've called the Chamber of Commerce or the library in small towns and asked about RV parks. If push comes to shove I'll stay at a rest stop overnight. Some of the motels are putting in a few electric/water hookups. Carole and I stayed in a really nice one in Thedford, NE for $17 and there was only one other RV there. Start looking early enough that you don't end up driving after dark or for 9 hours. I do admit that its sooooooo much easier in my Roadtrek than in my 30' Class C.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby cpatinjones » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:02 pm

retiredhappy wrote:I like to travel backroads so sometimes there will be small CG's that aren't listed in the bigger directories. I've called the Chamber of Commerce or the library in small towns and asked about RV parks. If push comes to shove I'll stay at a rest stop overnight. Some of the motels are putting in a few electric/water hookups. Carole and I stayed in a really nice one in Thedford, NE for $17 and there was only one other RV there. Start looking early enough that you don't end up driving after dark or for 9 hours. I do admit that its sooooooo much easier in my Roadtrek than in my 30' Class C.

I hadn't thought about calling the Chamber of Commerce. Good tip.
It is nice to hear that some motels are putting a few RV sites. For an overnighter, that would be perfect.
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby havingfunnow » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:24 pm

I always read as much as I can before heading for a particular destination -- both travel books and histories of the area, sometimes fiction set in that area.

Talking to people along the way and keeping my eyes open have taken me to some of the best places, though. I saw Washington's Crossing because a docent at Valley Forge drew me a map of the route after we'd chatted about the beauty of side roads in daffodil season. I saw falcons being trained because I saw a tiny sign along the road and took a detour. I was invited to see a private collection of Civil War guns after a conversation with a volunteer at the Adams County historical society. and so on . . .

The world is full of wonderful things! I figure I'd better live to be 200, just to see what's there. :lol: :lol:
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby Dawn309 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:05 am

I have always been a planner, so other than the time right after Boot Camp, I have everything scheduled and reserved up to the end of March. Since we wanted to winter in Fl, made sure we have reservations. After that, we are just planning a general direction so as to be in Vermont at the end of June. There are a lot of places I want to see on the trip up the East Coast. My concern about using secondary roads is finding places to get gas that are big enough for me to be able to get in and out of. I have seen too many gas stations that I would not be able to gas up at and then get out of because the pumps are too close to the front of the store and no way to turn either right or left coming away from the pumps. I am thinking I will need to find truck stops mostly to get gas as we travel. Are there enough truck stops on the secondary, more scenic roads?
Dawn, Rascal, Belle
Sunshine-2012 Coachmen Encounter
http://dawnsrvlife.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/dawn.goodrow.shive
Dawn309

PreviousNext

Return to Interesting Places