How do you plan for interesting places?

Tell us about interesting places you've been - things to see and do - pictures please!

How do you plan for interesting places?

Postby JoanE » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:36 pm

This question is really for those of you who do NOT use highways or at least rarely use them. How do you go about planning your trips, especially if it is a new area that you will visit? I was playing around with Good Sam's trip router on their website. I put in Florida to Montana on scenic roads preferably. Their router was taking me across Florida on secondary roads, some highways in GA and SC, etc but it was a really roundabout route to Montana. When I removed the scenic roads filter, it took me right up I75 into GA, etc. I don't want to be highway warrior but don't mind using them when it is expeditious.

Part two of this question - Is there a particular trip that you have taken that you REALLY loved and why? This should relate to the scenic wonders, interesting places to see or things to do. Not that you went to see your new grandchild, although that would be a wonderful trip too. I have my guesses as to which of you are taking the kind of trips I am referring to from previous postings but would love to know how you find them, etc. Thanks.
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Re: How do you plan for interesting places?

Postby Bethers » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:29 pm

I do all kinds of things. I use Microsoft Streets and Trips in the planning stages. I put in all the little cities I want to stop in that I KNOW I want to stop at. There are lots of them. I always leave time to veer off when I find other things I don't know about. It's the adventure of finding those things that make it even more fun for me. I only take an interstate or highway if there are no other choices or during the rare times when I'm heading somewhere lickity split (like my GA to PA trip in March).

Everyone of my trips has been spectacular - but my top two would be my Alaska trip and my Baja trip. The scenic wonders on both those trips are awesome - and I will do both again :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Liz » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:35 pm

I use my atlas mostly for route planning. (National Geographic Road Atlas). Scenic roads are marked and points of interest are marked with a red square. Then I research some of those to find out more and decide which ones to stop (or go out of my way) to see. For camping I stay in National Park cgs if I'm in a NP, or use my National Forest CG book (info also available online), Camping with the Corps of Engineers cg book (also available online) and plan my stops around those, if possible. I am now also a member of Passport America, so those are options too. Readers Digest has a couple of neat books...Americas Scenic Byways and Off the Beaten Path which make for fun planning.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Birdie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:35 pm

Not a plan, but when you land in a town, the local Chamber of Commerce is a good go to place for things to see or happening around the area. Of course, this might depend on whether you are destination driven and on a schedule.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby JoanE » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:12 pm

You all have such great suggestions. So do you plan your cg stops ahead of time or wing it as you mozy along? I'm thinking that if I really like an area, I might decide to stay or if I don't really like it, just keep moving on and not need the reservation I might have made. But then I'd have to know where I might land and find a new location. Is that common?
JoanE

Postby Bethers » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:02 pm

I rarely, very rarely make reservations. Remember, if you do, and decide that's not where you'll end up - you may pay for it anyway. I make reservations for holidays if I think it might be hard to get a place, and for gtg's which I go to to see people. On the road I plan areas and have ideas of places to stay - and sometimes when I'm getting close to a place I'll call to make sure they have room but still only make a reservation if they tell me they might not have a spot if I don't - and if I'm sure that's where I'll end up.

There are different types of traveling. When you are traveling to a specific destination, then you need reservations. When you are full-timing like me, and the journey is the destination - how can I make reservations when I don't know just where the road will lead that day? I only know the general direction and where I will eventually end up.

You have to choose how you feel the most comfortable traveling.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby carold » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:17 pm

Got disconnected just as I finished my reply :cry: So here's a shortened version. We've been traveling for 5 years and rarely make reservations. We don't like to have to be somewhere or stay for a determined amount of time. So far, very few problems even when in Alaska or Canada. Was just at Glacier and there were plenty of spots at various campgrounds. Possibly at places like Yellowstone or Yosemite, but even there, we didn't make reservations. Sometimes we have to move to a different spot or find another campground, but not often enough to change. It's all about your comfort level. If you're going somewhere to visit and you know for how long, that might be different. But on the road, we try and stay loose. Of course, I'm not alone and that might make a difference. Sounds like you're enjoying this lifestyle. We'll be wintering in Sarasota again. Maybe this time we'll have better luck at connecting. carold
carold

Postby VickieP » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:30 pm

Carold, if you post the shortened version twice, does that make up for the longer version? :roll: :lol:
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby sharon » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:39 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby Bethers » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:21 pm

By Carol's request, I deleted one of them :)
Beth
Bethers

Postby VickieP » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:27 pm

Bethers wrote:By Carol's request, I deleted one of them :)

Aw come on Carold, it's not very often we get to pick on you. :D
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby Liz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:57 am

What Beth said. I rarely make reservations, but do scope out possibilities along the day's intended route. Never know exactly when I might want to stop, so scope at different distances. If it's a touristy place with no first come, first serve type of cgs, I also call ahead. Nan and I managed to find spots when we needed them, even on the weekends.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:30 am

We've started planning our "Great Wild West Adventure" for next year....when we did the "Texas and Gulf Coast" Adventure a few years back, we used "Streets and Trips" software, Rand-McNally Atlas, Military Campgrounds websites, AAA travel books which give CGs, and of course, advise and ideas from the gang here...Since we want to spend alot of time in SD and Wyoming (I have a sister who lives in Thermopolis, WY to visit.. ;) ) on our way out next July, Ernie wrote these states for their "Sights and Tourist" books...just got the one from SD and already Ernie's got it "dog-eared" and high-lighted"..... :roll: :lol: We'll have our general plan and route planned out, but like all the rest of the full-timers here, we're flexable and will vary from the basic plan, if we see or hear of something of interest....Hope this helps ya', Joan....part of the fun is the planning.... ;)
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby JoanE » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:50 pm

Carold,
Definitely this time. Where do you stay in Sarasota? I will not be back until January but look forward to meeting you then.

Re reservations, I have been doing it just like you all mentioned. I simply called ahead when I knew I wanted to stop. Worked fine but I tended to wait too long to get off the road. Would have preferred parks but their offices were already closed so used private/commercial cgs. Spent one night in a rest area too near some other motorhomes.
JoanE

Postby JoanE » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:17 pm

Just read Liz's recent installment of her travels and had an "ah ha" moment. I should just write down where Liz went and take the same route. Can hardly get more interesting than that!
JoanE

Next

Return to Interesting Places