Sweetgrass Basketmakers Highway

Tell us about interesting places you've been - things to see and do - pictures please!

Sweetgrass Basketmakers Highway

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:35 am

The girls & I took a road trip Friday. We drove from Myrtle Beach down to Mt Pleasant, which is just outside of Charleston. On Hwy 17 there is a section designated as Sweetgrass Basketmakers Highway. Some of you may know all about this, but for those who don't, for miles & miles there are this little roadside stands.The African American's in this area make sweetgrass baskets. It is an ancient art form brought by the slaves from Africa. They have passed their craft down thru the generations & it is now considered the official handicraft of the Low Country. If you're interested their website is http://www.sweetgrassfestival.org.

I had to stop & talk with the lady & her grand daughter. And of course, buy another basket. She was making a basket, & teaching her grand daughter the craft. Here are some pics of her stand.

And her grand daughter is in this pic

If you are ever in the Low Country of SC, it is worth stopping to talk with these artists & see their baskets. It is beautiful work.
NakedPupsAndMe

Re: Sweetgrass Basketmakers Highway

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:31 pm

Do the baskets smell sweet? The Native Americans make braids of "sweet grass" that they burn like incense. It smells so sweet I just love it. Always buy some at pow wows.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:47 pm

What beautiful handiwork. Thank you for sharing the website, pictures and the history behind them.
AlmostThere

Postby Sunseeker » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:56 pm

Those baskets are wonderful, and the fact that the trade has been passed down for generations...! It's so nice you got to photograph that art for those of us that never ever heard of 'sweetgrass'. Bet that little cutie will be weaving her own artwork in no time. Cool.

Looks like I need to take a few more 'Red roads'. We just went through there last month...on the freeway of course.
Sunseeker Jill
also Tommy and furkids Sami and Molly
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby avalen » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:03 pm

very interesting indeed, would enjoy seeing that myself
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Bethers » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:46 am

It's a very interesting stretch of road - with hundreds of these roadside basket stands. It's really hard to decide which one(s) to stop at - and I'm sure they weren't thrilled with me, cuz I stopped but didn't purchase - just wanted to talk with some of them.

Also, when in that part of the country, you need to stop and get some boiled peanuts.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:45 am

I love boiled peanuts!! :D :D :D And the baskets do have an aroma. It isn't strong like potpourri or heavily scented. It's a very delicate scent. It smells like clean grass. And Bethers, I only have very small baskets. They are pretty pricey!
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby Bethers » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:12 am

They are pricey - but that's not the reason I don't buy - I have a rule living in my rv - I have to NEED something or be REPLACING something, or purchasing a gift, or I don't get it. This place fills up way too quickly and I always have too much in here :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to Interesting Places