Corydon, Indiana

Tell us about interesting places you've been - things to see and do - pictures please!

Corydon, Indiana

Postby asirimarco » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:20 am

We finally got “on the road” about 11:00 Friday morning from the RV place. We’d originally planned on leaving Wednesday about 10 a.m. Just a little late.
After much fiddling everything in Alfie seemed to be working okay. As we headed down the highway I was trying to get a handle on the new toy – a GPS. Now I’m the kind of person who likes the “big picture” of a paper map. Just feel more secure using it. Any way I’m programming away and all she (the GPS) wants to tell me is that I’m not going where she says to go. “Recalculating!” I swear she even got a sneer in her voice after a couple of times.
And actually we were just going straight south on one highway.
Corydon, IN is a neat place to spend a summer weekend. Lots of history there. Stayed at a small private campground abut three blocks from downtown. All hookups but couldn’t get satellite TV. Will write review.
Anyway – Corydon was the first capitol of the state of Indiana.
Image The town was given its name by William Henry Harrison from a song he heard someone sing. The original capitol building is still there as is the governor’s house. Lots of beautiful old homes along the main street and neat old buildings.
Of the two battles fought in the north during the Civil War one was here, the other Gettysburg. 450 home Guard against 2400 Confederate soldiers. Only lasted about 30 minutes. Some of the dead from that battle are buried in the old cemetery.
There is a one room school house built for colored children, it was also a stop on the underground railroad. A few miles down the road is Squire Boone Caverns. Brother of Daniel Boone built a grist mill there. We took tour of caverns – 63 stairs to go down then back up. Oh my legs.
During the summer there are concerts every Friday night on the town square. We heard the Ft. Knox band. Excellent.
And on Sat. afternoon there was a Bluegrass concert same place. And Sat. nights The Jamboree has a show. Country/Gospel music. House band, three known performers and several guest performers. Our friend was one of the guests. Enjoyed every minute of it.
Pretty countryside. Drove a ways east to Leavenworth and ate lunch at the Outlook right on a bend of the Ohio River.
The old town itself has places to eat and lots of tourist shops. Not far from downtown is of course Wal*Mart, and every fast food place known to man and a couple of chain restaurants
From a lemon begining it turned into lemonaide.
asirimarco

Re: Corydon, Indiana

Postby Bethers » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:34 pm

It still amazes me how much there is to see and do in almost every town. Who would have thought there was so much history in that Indiana town?

Thanks so much for sharing!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to Interesting Places